Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Crackaig

Busy, busy, busy.

Hi guys, over most of the last year I’ve not posted on the forums. I am still about, just very very busy. About 22 months ago I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, T2 diabetes and arterial fibrillation. It was also discovered that I’d broken my spine in two places and all 12 thoracic vertebrae are fused into two lumps. Well I did say my back was sore!

We have been able to trace some of this back 43 years. I could become rather bitter about everyone who has ignored me when I said I was in pain. Or I could say “What’s done is done” and    engage with the treatment now on offer. I’ve chosen the latter. I’ve done physio rehab, and beaten the diabetes into remission 

Things here are very different. Certainly not better but different. When someone is considered disabled or “vulnerable” everything becomes about what a service provider provides for that person. This is not a great healthcare model. I would much rather we talked about what people can be enabled to achieve either as individuals or collectively. 

i am not my diagnosis. There are still things I can offer. Maybe not the heavy mechanical engineering I was trained for but not useless. For three years I have been volunteering with HUG Action for Mental Health. HUG (for short) is one of three organisations that form SPIRIT Advocacy. A charitable company. SPIRIT holds a contract with the National Health Service in the Highlands of Scotland for group advocacy for mental health service users.

Last September they granted me the honour and responsibility of being the Chair of Directors. ( I have supervised other workers but now I find I suddenly have ultimate responsibility for 7 employees). If you know me at all you will know I take this very seriously.

Last December I stood for and was elected to the Village Council where I live. Again a serious commitment. ( It is also voluntary). I do get great satisfaction from sorting out the small problems that become huge obstacles in people’s lives.

on top of that there is a new Highland wide pan disability charity called HighAbility. I am also on the board of this charity.

Coronavirus has made me even busier. The mental health provision has been almost totally withdrawn. Being the local who is known to be involved in mental health charity means the come to me. I can offer no more than peer support but somehow we are muddling through.

Having lost most of my mobility I do get a reasonable package of benefits from the state. I’m as well off as I have been for a long time. I get travel expenses for these roles, nothing more. I believe I’m offering more to my community than I take from it.

That is why I’ve not been about here very much. I am trying to get back to the vice, do some more writing and generally escape from the daily grind. 

I hope you are all Safe and doing well.

Alan (Crackaig)

Alan, I remember your post about your back. I'm glad to see you're coping and moving forward, but so sorry to hear of your trouble. Makes all the complaining back and forth that we do here on the forum seem so trifling.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going!! Inspiring post! As Chugbug said, it makes my complaints seem very trifling.

Les

Alan,

Great to hear from you miss your posts. No moss on your stone, sounds like you will be positively engaged for a while. " Lang May Yer Lum Reek" hope you get back to the vice.

Chris

Nice to see you back Alan, just wish it was under different circumstances. Sounds like you have the right mindset to go forward with life though so that is good to see.

Crakaig sounds extremely busy, I am sorry to hear about your physical condition, it sounds like you are rising to the challenge and being far more productive than most of us with relatively good health, hats off to you sir.

Geeze!  I get a splinter in my pinky working in the yard and I'm done for.  It ruins the rest of that day and makes me less likely to get back out there after it heals, a day or so later. 

You're on the other end of that spectrum and have only gotten MORE active since getting a proverbial tree sized splinter!

I'm happy to see your post, Alan.  I know it's a cliché statement, but it definitely fits you ... "Keep fighting the good fight!"