Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymanaj

Iso thick craft foam

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

back up nymph.jpg

Rich's "back up nymph".

A bit different from mine.  I have some Eagle Claw bait hooks, size 4, that look like the hook in the picture.    Mine are intended to float.  I treat the mop piece with a floatant.  I could fish it off an intermediate or sinking line on a short leader.  It would dive then float back toward the surface when I stopped the retrieve.

This one is pan fish size tied on Gamakatsu B10S, size 6.

PB080839 (3).JPG

I used to tie Boobies all the time while living in Central Alabama.  They were great flies for bass.  Very successful on smallmouth as well in Northern Minn.

I typically used foam cylinders rounded off with a Dremel tool.  The typical 3/8" grinding stone has a cupped head that will quickly round off the end of the foam cylinder.  Rounded booby eyes are less prone to twisting during casting.

Dremel_Grinding_Stone_Aluminum_Oxide_Grinding_Stones_Grinding_and_Sharpen_(EN)(2).jpg.ae0019606f64fdca3c259acf8f15b13d.jpg

2 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

I typically used foam cylinders rounded off with a Dremel tool.  The typical 3/8" grinding stone has a cupped head that will quickly round off the end of the foam cylinder.  Rounded booby eyes are less prone to twisting during casting.

I'll give that a try.  I have a Dremel tool and the grinding stone.  I usually add eyes to the larger ones I tie for bass which gives them a rounded end. The bluegills, pumpkinseed and redbreast around here don't care if they have eyes or not.

PA270800.JPG.1e6db37c97ff1ed10368fba3d5452a28.JPG

On 11/29/2020 at 1:16 PM, flymanaj said:

Where can I find thick craft foam? Thick enough to punch out boobie eyes.

You've already got the info on good sources, but if you are looking for big blocks outside of the FFing market, every fitness center sells backs of EVA close-celled foam.  Swing through the aisle on Pliates & Yoga, you'll see the assist blocks and other items of use.  Brick sized stuff in various colors.

Bought some drapery/shower rods which had EVA shipping/packaging blocks in them so keep your eyes open for such things, it's not all styrofoam packing material these days.  Sometimes there's the unexpected score!  Those little white cylinders in a bag are from Micheal's or Hobby Lobby, they work pretty well for coring.  No telling where in any store it's at, but there's usually an ample supply of good foams in most large stores.  It's the exact form that's makes it a hunt.

phoam.jpg.c6cae9be56aa28d4fa6b8cc7a04a2566.jpg