Fly Tying
Moshup

“Mustang Sally”

We have a rescue mustang living with us that we have tried to keep from the glue
farm over the years and Sally was more than happy to surrender a few of her tail hairs to me. Are
there any well known patterns using horse hair as a body material ? I busted my left shoulder 
yesterday so I’m down to tying one fly and then taking a long break before maybe starting another. Lol

“Mustang Sally”

Hook. ..... unk. Orphan child found on my desk. Dry fly hook for sure
Thread .... Utc 70 pale yellow
Body. .... Horse tail hair colored yellow
Thorax .... Rabbit and seal both yellow
Hackle. .... Herbert Miner pale dun

53834627-3B04-4ACB-9642-F19E5734A15E.jpeg

@Moshup   [the footballer is a good pattern, one of the early midge petterns to appear in the uk, great for grey midges

i tie them as follows

10-20 kamazan b100 or b110 (any curved grub or scud hook will do)

primrose 8/0

underbody silver holo g ( this isnt in the original but it shines thrugh the hair very nicely creating a lovely translucency, you can wrap touching or open turns to vary the effect)

body, one black and one white horse hair wound parallel to each other

thorax, mole with some uv pearl flash blended in

Here's one, last post in the thread.

And a picture:

T3928Footballer.jpg

On 1/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, Moshup said:

Are
there any well known patterns using horse hair as a body material ?

Use several strands of horse mane (not tail, mane is finer) as the backside of a medium or large size woven fly body, and use floss or strands of thread as the underside. (Potts woven flies like the Sandy Mite and Lady Mite; some variants use the hair butts as soft hackle after the body is woven, instead of weaving the hackle separately.)

Horse hair dyes really well, too. The mottling of the hair, if any, sustains through the dye.

Tail hair works as a body wrap similar to hackle stems, but for medium and large size flies. Mane hair could be used to wrap a smaller fly.

Oh, and top quality tail hair used to be what they used as a fly leader. There's an article somewhere on how to do that.

@sandan @chugbug27   Thanks.  I have to do quick easy stuff right now.

***@chugbug27    I have an old box of Mustad Salmon hooks that I think are pretty inferior hooks but I ‘m willing to

wager them with you for a bet on the Buccaneers & Saints tomorrow night.  I’m sure the Saints are favored but I’ll take an even bet 

for something equal in value or less . Say a max 10.00 !   Interested ? 

You're on, @Moshup how's a large Loon bobbin holder? Great leverage for tying heavy salt streamers. I've got an extra I never use. That, or a spool of Pearsall's Amber Gossamer? Or an assortment pack of a various Whiting saddle hackle feathers. Or an assortment of weird old hooks. Your choice.

50 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

You're on, @Moshup how's a large Loon bobbin holder? Great leverage for tying heavy salt streamers. I've got an extra I never use. That, or a spool of Pearsall's Amber Gossamer? Or an assortment pack of a various Whiting saddle hackle feathers. Or an assortment of weird old hooks. Your choice.

You’re on for the Loon Bobbin

Great looking flies Moshup & Sandan.

Same technique as for Moose Maine, but somehow I never made the connection.

I now have a new use for my horse tail hair....thanks guys.

On 1/16/2021 at 10:35 PM, Moshup said:

I’m sure the Saints are favored

So much for that! One Loon bobbin coming your way. 

@chugbug27 interesting game.  I’m a fan of Drew Brees and I felt badly for him

as he is a great quarterback.  That being said there will be a Drew Bree consolation 

prize awarded for second placing. May take awhile to get it in the mail as my shoulder 

is bothersome. Had a CAT scan done yesterday and probably will get a damage report 

tomorrow.