Fly Tying
George Werbacher

Tying the Stimulator

George I owe you an apology. I pegged you as just another guy that comes to the sight merely to promote a YouTube channel. I draw a distinction between those that contribute to this site and post YouTube videos and those who simply post YouTube videos in hopes of increased traffic to pave their way into fly tying fame, likes and subscribers. I now see you are here to learn and contribute. My apologies and thank you for your contributions. i also like your response to constructive criticism.  Lately it seems others were viewing constructive criticism as being mean spirited causing people to leave the site. I say good riddance to them and welcome to those who understands and accepts positive criticisms. There are many great tiers here that have their own channels and web sites who are eager to share their knowledge. You will learn well here so welcome aboard.

George,

Sometimes the inability to tie a better fly depends on the quality of the materials you have at hand. I think that is part of the issue with the fly you tied.

If you look at the quality of the hair and hackle on the the "good" simulators posted, you will see that the materials used are of prime quality.

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

George I owe you an apology. I pegged you as just another guy that comes to the sight merely to promote a YouTube channel. I draw a distinction between those that contribute to this site and post YouTube videos and those who simply post YouTube videos in hopes of increased traffic to pave their way into fly tying fame, likes and subscribers. I now see you are here to learn and contribute. My apologies and thank you for your contributions. i also like your response to constructive criticism.  Lately it seems others were viewing constructive criticism as being mean spirited causing people to leave the site. I say good riddance to them and welcome to those who understands and accepts positive criticisms. There are many great tiers here that have their own channels and web sites who are eager to share their knowledge. You will learn well here so welcome aboard.

No need to apologize. I actually just love tying flies and learning née ones. My videos are like a journal and really trying not to copy other videos and still be respectful of the original creator.

5 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

George,

Sometimes the inability to tie a better fly depends on the quality of the materials you have at hand. I think that is part of the issue with the fly you tied.

If you look at the quality of the hair and hackle on the the "good" simulators posted, you will see that the materials used are of prime quality.

Agree 100%. The reason I love tying flies is trying to learn these techniques with the materials I have. In the future upgrade materials and compare to the original videos. It’s fun way to learn and improve.

Interesting thread. Opened this thread today and thought, "Stimulator". Then read farther and saw our poor member George had been called on it enough to drop the link to the video, go back to the vise and begin the process of learning how to really tie a stimulator. Glad nobody got really nasty on the thread and George took things. The stimulator is one of those flies  when you can throw during certain hatches but most anytime it might be the hot item. Grasshoppers on the water, stimulator. It bears a large resemblance to the Sofa Pillow tied for the Salmon Fly hatches but like the hair wing flies might not hurt to try anytime and anywhere.

I try to stay close to the original and do enjoy tying them for some reason.Not a fly i fish with often.I have been tying some with foam underbodies instead of dubbing to keep them floating after i a couple big carp took a swipe at one.They only seemed interested with it floating high.

George,

Here’s a softhackle Stimi variant I tried a while back, more in the Irish Lough style

40412529472_dc00b1a7dd_c.jpg

Uses few of the materials from the original but if you squint real hard you can kinda see one hiding in there. Keep tying what you like to tie; it’s all about having fun.

Regards,
Scott

Foam Stimulator

After a dozen or so tries I decided to go with foam. I wanted to stay with materials on hand and keep true to the overall design. I want to thank everyone for keeping me on my toes because this is not a hobby but carrying on a tradition. This is especially hard when everyone wants boats, endorsements, and notoriety. 

Look for the foam video in the next couple days. 

I can tell I will like this forum for a long time.

2 weeks until the Virginia Mountains will be calling me.

37 minutes ago, SBPatt said:

George,

Here’s a softhackle Stimi variant I tried a while back, more in the Irish Lough style

40412529472_dc00b1a7dd_c.jpg

Uses few of the materials from the original but if you squint real hard you can kinda see one hiding in there. Keep tying what you like to tie; it’s all about having fun.

Regards,
Scott

yes it is. 

13 hours ago, George Werbacher said:

After a dozen or so tries I decided to go with foam.

That's a good looking fly there, I'd fish it.  Is that ostrich herl for the ribbing?  I like that idea with the foam body, maybe some soft hackle up front for more movement.  Then, of course, it won't really be a stimulator.  I have used foam strips for the bodies on mine, I'll cut strips of sticky backed foam which adheres surprisingly well, even after getting wet, and helps protect the stem.  I was going to post a photo of one, but just looked in my box and have none.  

Not being critical, but wondering why you didn't stack the hair for the wing.    

Anyhow, enjoyed the post and ensuing discussion.  

1 hour ago, niveker said:

That's a good looking fly there, I'd fish it.  Is that ostrich herl for the ribbing?  I like that idea with the foam body, maybe some soft hackle up front for more movement.  Then, of course, it won't really be a stimulator.  I have used foam strips for the bodies on mine, I'll cut strips of sticky backed foam which adheres surprisingly well, even after getting wet, and helps protect the stem.  I was going to post a photo of one, but just looked in my box and have none.  

Not being critical, but wondering why you didn't stack the hair for the wing.    

Anyhow, enjoyed the post and ensuing discussion.  

thanks. yes ostrich.  I found an interesting way to add the ostrich to the foam. Add a nice amount of supper glue to the entire shaft area where the foam is going. ( 2/3 hook shaft and glue about 1/2 the width of the shaft. Cut the foam in a strip a little wider than the scissor blade. Tie in and wrap and do not overlap, do close wraps though so you don't see any thread. Super glue will come up between the foam wraps. Wrap the ostrich herl along the wraps on top of the seams and super glue. Holds nice...

The reason for not stacking the wing is like a shout to the originator. I read that the tail is stacked and short and the wing is not. This gives the effect of a fuller wing and more of an attractor. (bothers my tying OCD though).

The front hackle I split the feather to give it a more clean look but could go either way depending on your preference.

I am wrapping a new video am calling The Foam Stimulator and will post. I like the videos because I hate writing content, adding photos, and making it look pretty. Video editing for me is fun, fast, and beats keeping a journal.

thanks for the commenting and looking forward to seeing some photos.

Stay safe and remember the best social distancing is done in waders, whipping a razor sharp hook over your head, attached to a nearly invisible line.

1 hour ago, George Werbacher said:

The reason for not stacking the wing is like a shout to the originator.

Thanks, I was not aware of that.  

On 3/7/2021 at 7:31 AM, mikemac1 said:

The title ought to read:  How Not To Tie A Stimulator

Although the fly in the video may indeed float and catch fish.  It holds very little similarity to a properly tied stimulator.  The first clue was the tail.  Much too too long.  Body hackle much too long and no visible segmentation.

This link to a Pinterest page shows a number of properly tied stimulators.

This one ought to go in the bin.

Thanks for the Stimulator link MikeMac!

There's a good number of foam bodied stimulators out there, most tied with stiff hackle, I tied this with ostrich herl and a softer hackle,  deer hair and foam for the float, softer hackle for movement and to keep it in the surface.  

IMG-20210310-144154a.jpg