Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From the Vise

Never fished them before so I'm excited to see if I like them or not. Overall I've not heard good things from most who tried them. Mainly the complaints I've heard have to do with durability and fouling. I'm not to concerned with durability if it catches me something over 40". Fouling I tied in some bucktail to try to limit that. My plan is to fish them on a shooting head and just shoot them out without all the flailing about. We shall see very shortly

6 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Never fished them before so I'm excited to see if I like them or not. Overall I've not heard good things from most who tried them. Mainly the complaints I've heard have to do with durability and fouling. I'm not to concerned with durability if it catches me something over 40". Fouling I tied in some bucktail to try to limit that. My plan is to fish them on a shooting head and just shoot them out without all the flailing about. We shall see very shortly

6 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

They have great action but they take up a lot of water.  Wouldn’t hesitate to throw them from a boat but from shore I found them

to be a pain in the butt.

Good to hear cause I most definately will be in a boat. I'll let you know, I'm gonna try to get out this week but work and weather has me in a bit of a wait and see but the following week for sure, assuming the weather doesn't have it out for me. 

058B0ACF-66D3-4881-A5D9-D9268FD6D982.JPEG.d56b7fa246704b5b2fe467f14c619e9f.JPEG

Whopper Flopper (mullet)

Hook: Mustad 3407, 2/0

Thread: Monocord 3/0 white, Uni-thread 6/0 black

Tail: Krystal Flash, pearl/Micro-marabou, grizzly/Standard estaz, pearl

Tail support: 278lb stainless leader wire

Prop: 1/4" lightweight bead, silver/Large propeller, nickel/5/32" lightweight bead, silver

Spacer: Body Braid, red

Back: Closed cell craft foam, 2mm, black and gray

Body: Standard estaz, pearl

Eyes: 3D molded 5/16", yellow

Head: Clear Cure Goo, thick

The Whopper Plopper has been one of my most effective conventional tackle topwater lures for redfish, snook, and trout since last fall. So the goal tonight was to create a version to throw on the long rod (hence the "fl-opper" vs "plopper" nomenclature). Early testing shows a good commotion on a strong strip, and a lower buzz on a longer rod sweep. Might try to sneak out to a snook hotspot for a real world test.

I'm curious. 

Why not here? There are other salt water flies on display. I was not aware that there is fresh, cold, water only criteria.

Still working with my new set up.

Found some Sz 22s while arranging my stuff.  Yes I really need to get a better set of midge jaws, and work on wing height, but they worked for me none the less.

a 22s.jpg