Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

Filling my flybox. Recommendations?

I was bored today, so I decided to do some fly tying. I have a fly box that has two sides. One is for my nymphs and one is for my dry flies. The side with the nymphs has one row for streamers. As of right now I am trying to fill out my nymph side. I have room for 15 more nymphs. What are some good nymphs to tie on a size 12 standard hook? I already have some kind of a pheasant tail variant that I tied that kinda looks like a pheasant tail nymph, scuds, and some kind of midge nymph. 

Agree with both TSMcDougald and chugbug27. For a midge type you won't go wrong w/ a rainbow warrior

2 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

Gold ribbed hare's ear is always a good choice.

How did I forget about that fly? Thank you for reminding me. I will most certainly tie that one.

FWIW, here's what I have for fishing in East Tennessee- elk  hair caddis, pheasant tail, brown hackle peacock aka red tail, black woolly bugger, white WB, sulphur (a local fly hatch), bead head Hogan (my son's black Lab). I don't carry a lot of fly boxes, have only two on my Dr. Slick lanyard that serve my needs. I have some DIY concoctions for carp fishing.

21 minutes ago, niveker said:

The oft overlooked Zug Bug.  

I am definetly going to add that to the fly box

@mikechell That's what they are called. I have about 10 of those in my box. I used those last graylig season and I love them

1 hour ago, TSMcDougald said:

Prince nymphs or Copper Johns are also good.

I don't have any beads, but I did tie a simplified version of those, the brassie

Okay I will tie the Zug Bug (How could I forget about that ledgedary fly?) and attempt the prince nymph.

53 minutes ago, TIER said:

Okay I will tie the Zug Bug (How could I forget about that ledgedary fly?) and attempt the prince nymph.

Let's see the results when you tie 'em!

1 hour ago, TIER said:

I don't have any beads, but I did tie a simplified version of those, the brassie

You can tie the Prince nymph without a bead. At least, I have.