Fly Tying
bullhead

Block head popper

Hello, Looking at cutting popper heads out of flip flop sandals. Have any of you built a jig to cut consistent bodies? similar to to the Zudbubbler body.

Cheers

Here's what I used years ago.... It's called "thin wall brass tubing" and it comes in various sizes from 1/8" on up - find it at any hobby shop that caters to model airplane builders... Once you get the size you need, very carefully sharpen one end all around to create a cutting tool,  then chuck it up in a lathe or drilll (you'll have to jerry rig the tube to be able to spin it properly... in whatever setup you choose...) mine was used in my rod building lathe (see photos).  Get it spinning properly then lightly place that flip flop or other similar foam up against the tube and literally punch out the size head neeeded.... To further shape each head I used a brand new single edge razor for trimming.  I was never able to to any cupping to this kind of popper's face - the way you can with cork, but you can make some great popper heads this way... 

fjGi5PQ.jpg

this is my homemade rod building lathe setup at the power end... Years and years ago we all used sewing machine motors (and the foot pedal that came with them to turn a mandrel (shown) with a Jacobs chuck on the bitter end (or something similar).  I've been using this one since the seventies... and with it I can not only turn down rod grip materials, but also wrap rods, empty and fill reel spools, buff out small ( and not so small) reel parts when needed, as well as spin that brass tube I mentioned.

4bcn3zq.jpg

this curious looking item in the chuck is actually an internal expansion vise that I picked up years ago - never seen one since... it fits inside a rod blank then expands (in or out) in place to lock down a rod I'm working on - or one of those brass tubes I mentioned... 

bc7HVvm.jpg

a selection of various spinning reel main shafts for mounting reel spools onto ... With the right one you can load or empty a spool needing new line quicker than any machine in a tackle shop (almost...).

If you have an artist's supply store in your area you'll probably be able to pick up razor saw/razor saw miter there.  Michael's would be an example.

Kim

Dremel used to make them.  Don't know if they still do or not.  You could get different saw  blades that fit into a handle.