Fly Tying
tctrout

First Fly to Tie!

On 2/18/2022 at 9:24 PM, Sandan said:

Tim, 

Hi. The first fly I was taught to tie was a pheasant tail nymph. So that's what I start a new tier with

Same here Sandan (the American version with legs, not the original English version tied with wire)- It's a great first fly because it teaches a new tier a lot of the necessary disciplines to become proficient at the craft. Once learned there are probably hundreds of variations that you can move onto.  AND as a bonus the PTN will catch fish anywhere in the world .  Catching fish on your own flies will keep anyone new or seasoned inspired (my wife would probably use the word obsessed).

2 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Same here Sandan (the American version with legs, not the original English version tied with wire)- It's a great first fly because it teaches a new tier a lot of the necessary disciplines to become proficient at the craft. Once learned there are probably hundreds of variations that you can move onto.  AND as a bonus the PTN will catch fish anywhere in the world .  Catching fish on your own flies will keep anyone new or seasoned inspired (my wife would probably use the word obsessed).

Yep, the American version. Easy enough to tie as a first but challenging enough to know that you have more work to do to get it right(do we ever?) I agree with everything you said. Personally when I begin something new I don't like is so easy that it comes out "right" right a way.  

19 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Yep, the American version. Easy enough to tie as a first but challenging enough to know that you have more work to do to get it right(do we ever?) I agree with everything you said. Personally when I begin something new I don't like is so easy that it comes out "right" right a way.  

I certainly tied some awful PTNs when I first started out but I still caught some fish with them.  Even a few of wary trout grabbed what could best be described as a "sort of PTN shaped object".  All I can figure is that the trout thought the nymphs floating by had been really banged up from some seriously broken water upstream.  Maybe I just a found a few trout with a predilection for very, very tenderized nymph?🙄  But it was enough to keep me going and all these years later I'm still tying PTNs.  Fortunately these days they're a little more recognizable.

21 hours ago, DFoster said:

I certainly tied some awful PTNs when I first started out but I still caught some fish with them.  Even a few of wary trout grabbed what could best be described as a "sort of PTN shaped object".  All I can figure is that the trout thought the nymphs floating by had been really banged up from some seriously broken water upstream.  Maybe I just a found a few trout with a predilection for very, very tenderized nymph?🙄  But it was enough to keep me going and all these years later I'm still tying PTNs.  Fortunately these days they're a little more recognizable.

Bold for my own progression too

A mop fly doesn't teach any fly tying skills. The wooly bugger taught the technique of tying a fly and gave the new tyer a foundation to build on. You aren't teaching anyone anything doing mop flies. Next they'll move on to foam and crazy glue. 

Our TU Chapter does a fly tying and fly casting "class" at an outdoors sport day for school kids.

Our TU chapter president (who is female) has the kids tie a wooly bugger in their school colors. Then they get to keep the fly they tied. They are thrilled.

35593380641_419c0f6219_z.jpg

34916686243_7e895952a8_z.jpg

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

Our TU Chapter does a fly tying and fly casting "class" at an outdoors sport day for school kids.

Our TU chapter president (who is female) has the kids tie a wooly bugger in their school colors. Then they get to keep the fly they tied. They are thrilled.

Very cool

1 hour ago, XPATier said:

A mop fly doesn't teach any fly tying skills. The wooly bugger taught the technique of tying a fly and gave the new tyer a foundation to build on. You aren't teaching anyone anything doing mop flies. Next they'll move on to foam and crazy glue. 

I'll disagree.  It teaches you how to use thread, tie in a body, a thorax and how to use a bead head.  It's a simple fly that catches fish.  Oh well, here I am, tying with mop pieces, foam and superglue.   Such is life.

1 hour ago, SilverCreek said:

Great job! Thanks for teaching the youth. 

On 2/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, Sandan said:

Bold for my own progression too

I disagree!  The collar alone can teach many things depending on the variation.  A soft hackle tie, it can use a noodle dub, split thread dub and dubbing loop method.

Kim

I actually have something worthwhile to add here!...

Truly, it doesn't matter at all which fly you learn to tie first. 

If Meghan Boyd had offered beginning tying lessons, would you ask which fly, or when do we start?

image.png.01210a5789e5946a39620590c09ad276.png

(Did a little research, and it looks like Ms. Boyd herself learned well enough starting with a Yellow Torrish and a Durham Ranger...)

https://vault.si.com/vault/1973/10/01/to-the-queens-taste

image.png.fa6c89dfe036af679a1e9e9b8f63e6a3.png

Yellow Torrish

image.png.126b94d304a727522f87f8cb9bf783bc.pngDurham Ranger

24 minutes ago, WWKimba said:

I disagree!  The collar alone can teach many things depending on the variation.  A soft hackle tie, it can use a noodle dub, split thread dub and dubbing loop method.

Kim

I think you misunderstood me. I was saying that as I get better my pheasant tail nymph becomes more recognizable as a PTN. I think it makes a great first fly to learn as it has so many things that are both basic and can be improved on.

22 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

If Meghan Boyd had offered beginning tying lessons, would you ask which fly, or when do we start?

neither

i tried tying those fancy style flies once and it wasnt very pretty ☹️