Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bimini15

Twisted bend hooks for tying?

I am used to tie mostly on saltwater hooks. They are all straight shank from the eye all the way to the point, which is parallel to the shank.

But I have seen lots of hooks that have a twisted bend and still seem fine for tying. They just have point that is, well..., pointing "the wrong way".

Are there any so called "fly tying specific" hooks with twisted bends? Would the twisted bend interfere with the action of the fly?

I think the word you are looking for is "offset" which in some styles, especially smaller hooks, is done to supposedly increase hooking rate. The offset does not affect the action of the fly in any noticeable manner, but it might increase its effectiveness if you believe in such things. Most often seen, by me anyway, in octopus style hooks on streamers, but there are many tiers who offset their hooks a little in the vise (e.g. midge patterns), so the phenomena is not exclusive to any particular hook nor manufacturer.

These hooks are called kirbed (offset left) or reversed (offset right) hooks. The term offset does not specify which way the hook is bent. I don't know why offset one way would be any better than offset the other way

"STRAIGHT OR OFFSET?

if0502_AboutHooks4.jpgHooks can be straight or offset. “Kirbed” hooks are offset left; “reversed” hooks are offset right. While a theoretical case can be made for offsetting left instead of right, or vice versa, it has little to do with basic fishing.

Fishermen who prefer offset hooks believe they increase the potential to catch hold. Offset hooks require slightly more force to sink in, however. Other fishermen prefer straight hooks. To ensure high-percentage hooking, some fishermen increase gap size by fishing a larger hook — a #6 instead of a #8, and so on."

Read more: http://www.in-fisherman.com/gear-accessories/all-about-hooks/#ixzz4KqB99czp

So, are there any fly tying hooks that already come with an offset?

Just curious to see if enough tiers offset their straight hooks as to make manufacturers take notice and offer the choice.

Certainly there are enough non tying offset hooks choices out there.

In a general Bing search I found Green Caddis, Tiemco and Mustad offered reversed. I didn't find Kirbed.. I also didn't do a Google search either. But the Bing search took about 1 minute to perform and that has to be a dog compared with Google. I typed in Kirbed fly tying hooks, when I found none within the first few headers I then typed in "reversed" in place of Kirbed and they popped right up. I did not click the links or copy them.

I fish a lot of Zebra Midges. I don't know of any offset hooks that can be purchased for fly tying. Doesn't mean they don't exist just never bothered to look.

The first thing I do when I tie a Zebra Midge is crush the barb and then put the hook in the pliers and offset the point 10 to 15 degrees.

If you offset the hook do it before you tie the fly. It's up setting to break a hook on a finished fly

It's funny you mention this, I use an offset bait hook made by Eagle Claw to tie a certain streamer for salmon. The hooks are off set and I bend them straight ! Those hooks hook up awesome though either way, they have a kind of extra bent gnarly point on them that is quite sharp. It seems when a fish takes it, first its a really good sized fish and second, they stay hooked. I tie those in size 4 and 6.

Dave beat me to it.

I tie with whatever cheap hook I found in bargain bins, etc. Sometimes, those hooks are offset. Before I tie on them, I straighten them.

My logic is this. Anything can, and will, cause your light weight fly to spin. Reducing the number of causes of spin makes it more likely to ride true when pulled through the water, or the air. Since an offset hook isn't proven to catch more fish, I get rid of the offset.

I also check to make sure the barb is good and not flattened down or missing. The higher that barb angles off the hook, the better.

I tie a lot of flies on mustad mosquito hooks which are slightly offset. Like Milke, I straighten them before tying. Those hooks are so light it probably doesn't matter but I do it anyway. Just put the hook in the vice and push it slightly by the eye.

I never tried fishing the bait hook streamers with the bent hook, I just envision them swimming giddy wonkers. For all I know that might be a good thing but, well, I just straighten them out ! And incidentally I've never broken one of these bait hooks, not bending or fishing them or binking them off a rock for that matter.. I like those hooks, it's beyond just a price thing, I prefer them for that fly I tie.

As long as we are on the topic of hooks, does anyone know the quantity you get from Allen fly fishing on an order placement of 1. I mean it can't be one hook, so how many do you get in a box or package in say a standard size 14 dry fly hook ? I didn't see that listed there.