Fly Tying
breambuster

Your Favorite Bluegill Pattern Swap

THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL!

After a little break while I hosted the Swap Club for the last few months of last year, I'm ready to get back into another Bluegill Fly Swap! This is a one-time swap (not a swap club) with a due date of February 28. There will be 12 swappers plus the Swapmeister, for a total of 13, so you will tie up 12 flies and not get back one of your own. Extras are appreciated, but not required. The theme says it all. Tie up your favorite bluegill fly pattern and send them in to get back a dozen flies from other guys. If you're not a bluegill fisherman, almost any trout fly will work as a Bluegill fly. In fact, most bluegill flies ARE trout flies. Especially desirable are wet flies, soft-hackle flies, nymphs, scuds, emergers, terrestrials & foam flies. Also, some rough water dry flies, such as a Humpy will work well. A Humpy with an orange belly is a great bluegill fly. Each swapper will send in at least 12 flies, all the same pattern, size & color. Our goal in all our swaps is to get you to tie up 12 flies that are as identical as possible. It's great practice that will increase your tying skills. Each swapper will let me know when you are ready to mail your flies & I will PM you my address. Send your flies in a crush proof box. Altoid boxes work especially well. Also, send a self-addressed stamped envelope for me to send your set of flies back to you. Be sure that the envelope I am going to mail to you has actually postage stamps and not the metered mailing label which has a date on it and is only good for the day on which you buy it. The metered mailing label is fine for the original envelope you mail to me. You may join by posting to this thread that you are "IN" or something similar. The 1st 12 swappers, regardless of how long you have been tying will make up the roster for this swap.

So who wants to join?

Swapmeister - Breambuster

1. Swamp Fly - Chernobyl Ant/Hopper - Received

2. RickZieger - Boa Yarn Fly - Received

3. ColonelMel - TBD - Received

4. Add147 - TBD

5. Jolly Red - Mini-popper - Received

6. Bassbuster - Foam Grasshopper - Received

7. Vicrider - Old-timey Wet Fly - Received

8. Dorado - TBD - Received

9. Joseph Russell - TBD

10. Flytire - Spider Fly - Received

11. Fshrmanms - Popper/Dropper - Received

12. Ihang10 - Devil Bug - Received

THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL! THIS SWAP IS FULL!

I'll have a go. Any restrictions like sub subsurface, top water, steamer, etc.?

Swamp Fly, RickZieger & ColonelMel, you are all in and I'm glad to have you. Swamp Fly, there are no restrictions, except that you are tying your favorite Bluegill Fly. Subsurface, Dry and Streamers are all welcome.

BB

Hummm, favorite that's pretty strong language there buddy! I'll have to think about that one since favorite and most productive might not be the same thing. I mean a panfish that eats 3/0 deer hair bug has to be big and mean!

Well, Swamp Fly, it has to be small enough for a Bluegill to eat it and that can't be too big because his mouth is about the size of a piece of Cheerio cereal. But for me, if I come across a fly that is my most productive, it's also going to be one of my top favorites. So if you have a "Most Productive Fly" that you want to share with the rest of us, I'd love to see it.

Welcome aboard Add147. Glad to have you in on another one of my swaps.

Take care

BB

Yeah, I'm just poking. LOL! Though it is fun when one eats a big bass fly and you wonder how it managed to do so. My front runner right now is a bright Chernobyl type ant/hopper that I almost always start the day with. I use it till it stops working or the wind makes it too tough. Let me think about it a bit more.

BB, I'd like to get in on this one. My favorite bluegill fly has to be a mini-popper or a "rubber" spider, love to see the the bluegill strike them. Think I'll do the mini-poppers.

Why don't ya' put me in this one BB. I'm going to go back about 50 years and ties a wet fly that caught bigger ''gills in a farm pond than I've ever caught since. I know I've tied some bead eyed and fancy wrapped flies in your past ties but this time I go to the way-back machine for this one.

BB, i'd love to join. I'll go with a topwater fly if that's OK. Taking bluegill on surface flies never gets old! Thanks, -Dorado