Fly Tying
Papa Baske

UV torch recommendations

Hey guys. I'm sick and tired of changing batteries in the UV light, from the Bug Bond kit i got. I'm looking for a high power torch, wich can be plugged into the mains outlet at home. I'm located in Denmark, so it has to be 220/230v. What can you recommend?

Don't have one, but the only UV light that goes to the outlet on the wall, that I can think of, is a nail salon type of uv curing lamp.

I already have a nail salon type UV-oven, which i use for flies with a lot of resin, to make sure it is hardened all the way through. It also completly removes any tackiness, What i'm looking for is a high power torch type light, i can use when the fly is in the vice

Flytire that's exactly what i'm looking for, but at that price i think i'll stick to batteries a little longer. That's just ridiculous. Also seems a bit overengineered with the footpedal. Think i'll keep looking

Look for dental UV curing lights. They aren't plug-in, but they do sit in a recharging stand, so they are constantly maintained when not in use.

DIY corded light from battery operated?

If you can find it, someone else posted a tutorial for this ... maybe 3 years back? If you've got a surplus store near you, you can probably find a charger/adapter that will give you the correct voltage.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Can't tell you for how many flies the batteries lasts, but seems like every time i have to use it, the batteries don't have enough power. The light cures the resin fine when the batteries is new, but as soon they begin to drop power it takes ages to cure the resin, and that drains the batteries even more. I tried a couple other lights and resins with the same results. Maybe i'll have to look into the DIY approach.

You may want to ask your dentist if he/she has an old white filling curing light? Could be expensive though, because they sure are new.