Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
IndianaYakFish

Caught my first (and second) steelhead...

Earlier this month I fished with the guys from Feenstra Outdoors up near Newaygo, MI. My first guided fishing trip and I couldn't have been happier. While I'm not normally a guided trip kind of guy, I wanted to learn about steelhead and how to catch them on the fly. To say I learned a lot on the two day trip would be a great understatement. My guide was Matt Z. and he was excellent. On day one myself and the other client caught numerous nice walleye on the fly and in the early afternoon I landed my first ever steelhead. WOW what a fish those steelhead are! On day two, the DNR was shocking the river for walleye so that they could collect their eggs, so needless to say the fishing wasn't too good that morning. After lunch it picked back up and I landed my second steelhead of the trip. I can't say enough good things about the guides and fishing. Think it's the only time I've ever fished in a cold rain and truly enjoyed it. Lol!

20170403_094002%20-%20Copy_zpsnyxutltz.j

20170403_185520%20-%20Copy_zpszmgfaroc.j

20170404_165756%20-%20Copy_zpsdjbru5sd.j

Nice! I have been wanting to a guided steelhead trip for years -- been trying to catch them off and on (without benefit of a guide) for almost 20 years, in which time I've hooked precisely 5, 2 of which were not by accident :) ). Sounds like you had a great experience!

Yep, steelhead are a great fish. Looks like yours have been in the river for awhile. The "chromes" just in from the lake I think will jump a little more and put up an even stronger fight though even those in the river for awhile are quite a contest.

When I opened your thread the first time I pulled the post down I went down just far enough to show your text and first picture. I looked at the picture and thought, "Boy, did that guy ever pull the wool over your eyes". Thinking steelhead and seeing walleye was good for a laugh. The walleyes that size are fun to catch and put up a good down and dirty tussle but aren't going to compare with the steelhead. Congrats on a good trip even the DNR did ruin your morning but it's all for the long term good. Hope the guides were okay with your keeping some of those 'eyes for the pan and if they did an old style shore lunch with the walleye even better.