Fly Tying
Steelhead Tom

Problem solving new product looking for reviews

We all know the two problems with clamp on the edge of a table style vices are trimming debris falling on your legs and floor along with the need to reach over under or around the vice to get tools and materials.

My patent pending table extension solves both these problems. It not only catches the debris but also creates a space to rest tools and materials, eliminating the need to reach for them.

Installation: Place the extension on the edge of the table then place the table clamp of the vice over it and tighten as normally done.

Advantages over trim bags: 1) No need to take vice apart to install. 2) Does not encroach upon legroom. 3) Creates convenient tool and material rest. 4) Easily wipe debris into trash rather than shaking out a bag.

The final product is clear so even small amounts of any color materials are easily distinguishable.

So please let me know what you think, including how much you would expect to pay for this product which is ready for sale. Thank you.

post-54968-0-98218400-1421964946_thumb.jpg

post-54968-0-11098500-1421964993_thumb.jpg

Looks good.

I used to do something similar with a board without your cutout for the clamp. I liked it, and your design is an improvement with more "table" to the left of the vise.

One potential problem for some people. I could put the clamp anywhere along the left edge to adjust the overhang and distance to the vise. The cutout sets the vise in a fixed location.

OTOH, I stopped using the board and didn't miss it until I saw your post.

Personally I would prefer the white one that's shown over clear. As for price, I would think it would have to sell pretty cheap because it is so simple for anyone to make. Maybe $10 - 15 including S&H and even at that price I would still make my own. I'd add a cutout to custom fit my belly. But that's me.

Cutting board from Dollar Tree = $1.00

Time spent to cut to shape, 1/2 hour maximum at ... $15.00 an hour = $7.50

So, I might pay $8.50 + shipping ... but probably not. I like sitting closer to my vise. I couldn't see using that set-up unless it was strong enough to put my full "elbow" weight on.

You say an advantage is not disassembling the vise like with a basket ... but yours requires re-positioning the clamp to use or remove it. subtract $3.00 for that inconvenience = $5.50 + shipping.

I have the lid off a 5 gallon square bucket. It's cut out to fit around the vise like your, except from the side. (a little more than half the weight and surface area in still on the desk. I can slide it into place when trimming deer hair, then easily pick it up and dump it in the trash when I am done.

Wouldn't work at all for me. I use a clamp with a vice extension. The board would cover the vice head about 1/2" above the vice. If I could tie with the vice that high I'd screw the bottom section out of the shaft and use the pedestal. Also my set up uses two clamps.The second holding a comb for hair work. The board would push me further away from that. Sorry but it doesn't offer anything to me..

Cheers,

C.

an example of creativity.

why not just clamp the cutting board to the table with c-clamps and then attach the vise to that without cutting the slot?

your clamping method looks a little flimsy and could spill the contents if bumped accidentally. looks like a mini diving board

sell them in white, not clear. the white board could be used as a profile plate for tyers who like their vise to setup lower than most

i would not buy and use that setup as i have my vise attached to a sturdy tying bench

i tied for many years with a regal vise clamped to the edge of the kitchen table and really never had much problems containing/controlling material trimmings/waste.

a trash can between the legs is a good for catching waste

a towel over your lap is also good for catching waste

The wife has a vacuum cleaner for easy cleanup off the floor. The droppings that end up on one's lap can just easily get brushed off on the floor for easy vacuuming. Now I need some popcorn

How many wives have you gone through, Ditz? I can imagine you've sent a lot of them packing after they've refused to clean up after you, no?

If you are selling them you may want to cut them in a more professional manner and sand them very smooth.

My wife convinced me to buy a roll top desk for tying. The desk is a very large, mostly real wood computer roll top with a slide out keyboard shelf.

Sometimes I tie on the shelf, other times I store stuff on it I am using. Mostly it makes a great place to dry woodcock skins.

I keep looking at these and I can't see people going I can't live without one. Sorry.

IMO, I wouldn't bother with a patent for this one. This being said, It only really caters to the C-Clamp users. Anybody have an idea on percentage of base vs. clamp users? I'd guess 70% base - 30% clamp?

Mike, I expected you to answer more like: 64% base.... 48% clamp. Which obviously doesn't equal 100. Just to make people laugh. I think you might be slipping a little my friend.

Duhhhhhh 64 + 46 = hmmmmmm 110?????

Either Florida publik skoolz be bad or them folks at the sarcasm institute are working OT