Fly Tying

Well I am on the fence on which of these two seats I want to use on a build for myself, lets see if you guys can help me fall on one side of the fence or not. This is the grip setup I turned for a 5/6wt Spey trout rod for my own rod collection. I can't decide between the gunmetal grey window seat or the polished REC seat. I think I am somewhat leaning polished REC seat, but not entirely 100%

WnbCne.jpg
e4AnTK.jpg
MjWAHq.jpg
7wpgZl.jpg

Tough decision there Steve. If I give you my choice, then you will have my choice but I don't see how that will help you decide which one you like. I like them both... equally. How's that! blink.png tongue.png

I'm not usually a polished seat kind 'a guy either. For some reason I do like that one on these grips though, but then again the window and gunmetal I like too. Usually I know well ahead of time what seat I plan to use but this time I keep flip flopping back & forth wacko.png

You asking us about rod building choices is like Adam asking us how to say something in Finnish, but... since you did ask...

My first reaction is leaning towards the polished one. I think the ornate turned handle gives it some kind of a classical quality, and, to me, it makes the other one look too modern.

Normally I would like the gunmetal but it doesn't match in tonality this time. It's not about the style , it's the color and sheen to me. The other one compliments your grip better IMO, given just these two choices I have to go with that.

I am not into anything "retro". We're in the 21st century ... we should have flying cars and jet packs, NOW!

Thus, I like anything that looks more modern. Which means I like the window seat, since it definitely looks more modern.

Boiled down ... my opinion:

If you like an "antique" look ... use the polished one.

If you like a "modern" look ... use the gunmetal window one. (my preference)

IF the reel is high gloss stainless.... The aesthetics IMO would argue for the stainless reel seat.

And so the reverse.

Rocco

I am not into anything "retro". We're in the 21st century ... we should have flying cars and jet packs, NOW!

Thus, I like anything that looks more modern. Which means I like the window seat, since it definitely looks more modern.

Boiled down ... my opinion:

If you like an "antique" look ... use the polished one.

If you like a "modern" look ... use the gunmetal window one. (my preference)

Heheheheheh I'm sorry to hear that Mike :)

I actually am building two Ken....but the other is a birthday gift for my fishing buddy so no dice there wink.png

The fact that you have sealed the cork lends well to the polished seat JMTCW :)

I am not into anything "retro". We're in the 21st century ... we should have flying cars and jet packs now...

What about Time Travels?

Need to Time Travel.png