Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Galdrin

Galdrins creations

Starting a thread to remind myself of what I've been tying, how (if?) my tying has evolved and, of course, gather comments on what to do different.

First out is a few spiders that I've been working on the last week just to get a feel for thread, hackle and the size of the hooks.

Hot spot spider:

Black thread, golden olive silk and black hens hackle.

WP_20150810_001_zpso1ds717x.jpg

Orange & Partridge:

Orange thread and partridge hackle

WP_20150810_002_zpsunki1tkd.jpg

I don't know much about those type of flies, except what I've read here. But I do know that in most flies, a "newbie" mistake is ... too much material.

You didn't fall into that trap ... those look very good.

Thanks for the nice comments. Next up I'll try a few hare's mask nymphs, but I still need to work a little on my dubbing skills smile.png

Short question, I found a box of Kamasan B800 size 4 in my flytying box, what kind of classic flies would make use of such a hook?

Today I decided to try out some dubbing techniques on a hare's ear nymph. It's far from perfect and I'll be doing it over again tomorrow when Iäve had some more time to think on what worked and what didn't. Fatter thorax and shorter boddy is one thing I'll change and I'll try some other ribbing instead of the brass wire I had at hand.

WP_20150812_001_zps4gqdsc9a.jpg

WP_20150812_002_zpshijq3yet.jpg

IMO, you did a good job on the thorax & head. That thorax doesn't need to be fatter, it's good like it is. However the back section could be better. Looks like you got a bit loose at the back end just in front of the tail with the dubbing, and it seems you've got a thin spot too. Not a difficult fix, simply keep twisting your dubbing tighter & twist as you wrap. What likely happened is you're untwisting the dubbing as you wrap or not keeping enough tension on the thread. A nice taper to the body behind your thorax & you've got a different & much better fly! You'll get it I'm sure as you're almost there now.

I'm wondering about the doubled rib too? Try counter wrapping a single rib. That means wrap in the opposite direction from the direction you wrapped your dubbing. The rib won't get lost down in the dubbing and will help in securing the dubbing.

If the end result is not "buggy" enough for you, it's a simple matter of picking out a few fibers with a bodkin.

BTW, that one would still catch something, it just might not last many fish as it's likely to come apart.

Did a new try on the classic Hare's ear nymph. Tried to keep the dubbing tight and nice on the thread this time and I feel the body is more well defined on this try.

WP_20150826_0011_zpsdonin7jc.jpg

Flytire, thanks for those links. The Charlie site contained tons of stuff I was looking around for and the other site was a good one too. At the moment I'm waiting for my wife to leave the house so I can use the bullet blender on her Kitchen Aid :)

Gladrin ... TNSTAAFL.

Give her some money and send her shopping ... then, when she finds out about the blender, she won't be so quick to hit you with a frying pan.

Did some more practicing on the hare's ear following the info in the link shared by Flytire and I think the end result isn't to bad.

WP_20150829_005_zps6ziful0w.jpg

I was also looking through my flytying box that contains a lot of feathers that I don't remember where they came from and found a bag with some mixed content. Do you guys think there is a pattern that uses the stuff in the bag or did they just end up in the same zip-lock because of lazy

WP_20150829_002_zpskdqklnkg.jpgness?

Can't answer your last question for sure. Your work looks nice...good for you. Better be careful...this tying thing may get in your blood. Then you'll be nuts like the rest of us. Cheers, Ed