Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

How do you Ship Flies?

Hey guys, I know that in swaps you are supposed to send flies in a crush proof container. Altoid tins would work, but there too small for the salty flies that I tie. Does anyone have a cheap or DIY method of shipping flies. Any feedback would be awesome, thanks !!!

I was just thinking of going to Wally World and get a smaller plastic container in the crafts section. They can't be more than a couple of dollars and would fit nicely in a mailing envelope. Just an idea!

The boxes that chocolate come in seem like they work. Just glue a bit of craft foam in the bottom to secure the hooks and you're good to go

I've only done two swaps (and I am done with them) but I did two of the above suggestions.

My first one, I "built" a cardboard box just large enough to house all the flies.

Second one, I got a new Plano box ... and put all my lures in it. Then I took the old box and glued a foam strip in there and sent the flies in a flat rate envelope.

Flat rate boxes aren't that cheap to send, but flat rate envelopes are. As long as the box is secure, the envelopes work fine.

Also consider 2"x5", 2"x6" and 2"x8" zip lock poly bags or open sleeve poly bags. One or two flyes per bag. They are rather cheap on the biq auction site. A dozen flyes then go into a small bubble wrap envelope. Oh, you can label the clear plastic with your favorite sharpie pen.

Smokeless tobacco containers for smaller flies. After all they were designed to be put in your back pocket and sat on.

for your ebay store and for swaps i would use fly sleeves with a slip of paper inside to identify the fly

fly%20sleeves_zps3ravxfdu.jpg

http://www.whitewaterflies.com/CUSTOM-CUT-FLY-SLEEVES_p_3712.html

this is for large bass and saltwater flies

for swaps i would ship them in a vhs case and a bubble wrap envelope

box%205_zpsqsgcr4io.jpg

swapmeister%20envelope_zpsa75uoy3b.jpg

and dont forget to supply a self addressed stamped envelope to the swapmeister to return your swap flies. the swapmeister DOES NOT supply the envelope and POSTAGE

swapper%20envelope_zpsu0e0xmgr.jpg

for your ebay store i would use the bubble wrap envelope for shipping

you have been selling flies so how did you ship them out?

I put them (for ebay) in a zip lock bag that was padded with bubble wrap. Then I bought some padded envelopes and put them in there. They lasted fine according to the buyers.

for most swaps that i have been involved in, i use this simple plain old plastic box that i get at my local michaels craft store. $1.50 each

no odor from some kind of foo foo potpourri or whatever

box%203_zps53szl2ed.jpg

I put them (for ebay) in a zip lock bag that was padded with bubble wrap. Then I bought some padded envelopes and put them in there. They lasted fine according to the buyers.

then that all you need to do. you solved your own problem

if it isnt broke dont fix it