Fly Tying

Hi I have a problem with knots and need suggestions. one of my problems is that I have a difficult time seeing the mono to tie the knot, I can do ok with #6 spinning line but it very hard with fine leader and tippet material, I use a nail knot tier. is there maybe a way of marking the leader. any other suggestions, thanks

First, if you are having trouble seeing the leader/tippet, you need to get some flip-up reading glasses. There are several styles from ones that clip to your sun glasses to ones that clip to the brim of your hat. 2X or 3X magnification will help a lot. I don't use them, though, as I am near sighted, and I just flip my normal glasses out of the way to tie knots. If you are near 40+, bite the bullet and get some.

For knots, I only use a nail knot to tie the leader to the fly line, and I do that at home, not on stream. For repairing leaders on stream, or adding tippet, I use a double surgeons knot. For tying the fly to the tippet, I almost always use a modified Pitzen.

hi I tryed my magnifier and that didn't make much difference, My problem with seeing is that the mono is clear and difficult to see. I thought the surgeons knot made dog legs in the leader so it won't lay straight

I use 4x magnifying glasses (sold by Orvis) for fly tying and on stream. I think you can get 3x in some pharmacies or online. I also use tippet rings and a cinch knot for attaching tippet to leader.

Yes, it makes what some call a "dog leg", but it's really not enough to worry about. It does not make the leader lay at an angle, but rather introduces a small 'v' at the knot when laying limp. On the water, unless you are super picky, you'll never notice it.

One other thing to think about, how long has it been since you went to an eye doctor? If you really can't see mono, you may be developing cataracts or some other vision problem that needs to be treated.

Besides everything told so far, bring a green or brown magic marker with you. Color the line end you are going to tie with before you tie. See if that helps.

A few years ago I was fishing with a guy and the trout were taking little tiny dry flies. I got a 26 or 28 something out a proceeded to try to tie it on like evolution hadn't given me any thumbs. While this is going on my friend interjects, "Hey can you imagine how hard it was for the guy to tie those little devils." I said that I tied those devils and he said I needed bifocals. Well I was over forty and he was right. I tie with a magnifier.

Not sure how old you are, but phg might have the best answer.

Using dark colored sharpies, like troutguy suggests does help, for me atleast, I wear bifocols with flip up sunglasses, too cheap to buy prescription sunglasses. I found by darking the ends of the leader/tippet, let dry for a minute or two, that it does really make the end to be tied stand out much better and more visiable.

Mike

I had never heard of a Davy knot, but now that I have seen it. That's what I will be using. It looks so easy to tie!!

I have uncorrectable experienced poor eyesight.so sympathize with you. All good advise. The dark colored sharpie in the tip of the line worked for me. I got a tool for threading flies from Orvis and it usually worked. I have my small flies on C&F threaders Seeing a good eye doctor may also be a good idea.

The Davy has been around but I never thought of using a hook tool before. Sure looks easy and fast. Gonna try it. Thanks for the video. I love learning.

I have caught king salmon using a Davy knot. However, I have had the Davy knot slip or break enough to make me switch to the Double or Improved Davy. The second video demonstrates its strength relative to some other common knots and it's nearly as fast to tie. I only use the standard Davy on extremely small flies due to to its tiny size or when speed is of the essence.