Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TedderX

Invented Flies

Have you invented any flies? Post a picture!

For the sake of argument, it has to be something that you've given a name and has some variation to a recognized fly or is a totally new creation.

The reason I bring this up is because I'm curious to see new things but also I've been reading a lot of books lately. You often read something to the effect of "john doe is credited with the creation of such and such". "Jane doe was a famous angler whom had a bright idea". I find it incredibly exciting that not only have you made a new object but it's good enough that people will replicate it in it's form. Of my own opinion too, I feel the reason for the invention in fly fishing is different than any other industry. It's not to gain money, nor to secure a patent and sale to the highest big-market vendor but instead to share with other like-minded individuals for the sole-purpose of the spirit of the sport. Not saying you can't mass produce your fly but to say others will enjoy and use your idea of a fly.

If i can get a camera i would love to. Or software for Hp 215 so i can??? Windows 10 is killing me. I want XP back...Better yet win 98...i miss the cat telling me i am screwing up.

If there is ANYONE in pueblo Colorado willing to meet and picture this tie...You might be mad when you see how simple it is... But the pictures would mean a lot to me.

A friend of my Grand-Father invented the pistol-pete. Some-one around Trinidad claims he did, but his props were too big...Any-one who fished a real one KNOWS the difference.

I would love to find a way to get my name attached to this since i spent about 3 years testing and perfecting it. I guess that is why i am being so vague in details...The name i gave it tells too much. But this fly is VERY time and location specific. I don't know if it will work beyond the Arkansas valley, But i guess there are other basins that have VERY similar if not the same hatches. It is a dry, but while researching i found several nymph stages that work well in cold conditions on the lower Arkansas. BTW the time for this fly is about 5-6 weeks from now.

Tedder... interesting you posted this... there's another thread about essentially the same thing. And I said what you said... if you create something, post a pic IMMEDIATELY.

And I have always thought one way to maintain "ownership" is to name it after yourself. Like a "clouser", etc.

and Vette.... do you have a cell phone? Take a pic and email it to yourself. Then if you can't save the pic to your files in order to post it, you might email it to a member you trust, so he/she can post it. Doesn't have to be a work of art photo.... even a cell pic is good enough for the purpose.

Dude, 5 and a half years fighting cancer...I can't afford no cell phone. But i can swear that every copy i have seen was wrong and i know the most stupidly simple thing that proves i invented it.

There was a guy on here in 2009 that stepped up and gave us the greatest photo shoot of my PPIR car show. If some one in Pueblo can just get some pics. I promise i will tell them the secret...If they pass it on that is his/her choice.

Brainstorm. I think i may have have thrown in a few of these for BFR's Christmas exchange. How do i find pics from 3-4 years ago? I was desperate because my GF was keeping me from tying so i scoured my boxes to make the swap...i think i may have put some in there.

Now how do i recover the pics?

If you can remember the name of the swap, maybe you can use the search function... that would at least minimize the number of threads you have to look into. Good luck.

If you can remember the name of the swap, maybe you can use the search function... that would at least minimize the number of threads you have to look into. Good luck.

Yeah, i am trying to remember anything from around then. Chemo brain makes it hard some times.

And this fly is simple and ugly that i wouldn't have put any in any other swaps??? I don't think i would have. To make this fly work you have to intentionally tie it wrong. That is why the couple that have tried to copy it get it all wrong. If you tie it pretty you will get to watch it float for a long time. You mess it up ugly and they keep getting sucked under so fast it will drive you nuts trying to figure out when you might get to set the hook.

Or just take it to a local friend/neighbor that can take a digital pic and either email it to you or put it on a CD. I'd do it if your were in my hometown.

You could mail one to someone.

You know what...I like that idea, but think it fell a little short. Maybe i should host a swap. The one who gets me pictures gets a few extras.

Let me get past some med test next week and i will see if i am still able to tie these. If i can't get a couple of dozen of these tied i most likely will start selling all my tying stuff.

post the recipe

Upon mailing the swap...And only to members??? Maybe i am getting carried away, but this is almost a game to me now???

I have no life, so please give me a chance to play a little here. There is going to be a giant groan on the punch line...But it will be remembered.

Crap, I was in Canon City & Pueblo today for work. Had to leave Denver really early this AM though to get to a meeting and did not see this till just now. Sorry. Your fly does not have anything t0 do with the migrating black beetles about size 10 I saw on the road in Penrose and Canon City does it? Saw the tarantulas migrating on the road in early October 2 years ago by La Junta, but I doubt that is what you are trying to imitate. The tarantulas were about a 6/0 4XL if anyone was wondering. Ha Ha

Crap, I was in Canon City & Pueblo today for work. Had to leave Denver really early this AM though to get to a meeting and did not see this till just now. Sorry. Your fly does not have anything t0 do with the migrating black beetles about size 10 I saw on the road in Penrose and Canon City does it? Saw the tarantulas migrating on the road in early October 2 years ago by La Junta, but I doubt that is what you are trying to imitate. The tarantulas were about a 6/0 4XL if anyone was wondering. Ha Ha

No, mine was taken to look like a mostly aquatic Arkansas native. Some call it a pest. But i found out long ago by accident that trout love them. I have opened a few fish over the years to discover they were almost bursting full of them. It was actually my Grandfather who first showed this to me because he didn't know what they were. I wish i could tell him what i learned. If you venture larger than 14 on the Arkansas it will FAIL bad.

And i use to venture out East in September/October to collect real live tarantulas for my Halloween displays. Since i only had 3 kids last year i am quitting that as well.