Fly Tying
fishinorhuntin

Best beginner fly rod length, WT and action

I would like to purchase my 15 year old a fly rod. I don't want to spend alot on it in case he doesn't like to fly fish (I doubt that would happen), but if he don't I guess it would be another fly rod for me!!. What is the best WT, length and action for a beginner? We predominatly fish in lakes and rivers in Virginia from a boat and some bank fishing. Eventually, I would like to get him into saltwater, mainly inshore Chesapeake bay, but that can wait until he learns the basics. Any advise would be appreciated!

I am no beginner. I've been fly fishing for decades.

I have two Dogwood Canyon rods from Bass Pro Shops.

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Dogwood-Canyon-Pre-assembled-Fly-Outfits/product/96504/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I recommend the 9' 5 weight. Plenty of action to make the casting easy ... stiff enough to bring in big bass, but light enough to have fun with 4" sunfish.

Complete set up with rod, reel and floating fly line. On sale now ... hard to beat.

Lots of variables. What's the typical fish you're after? LMB/SMB....probably a larger rod, a 7WT. Panfish & trout? A 5Wt. Length...casting out of a boat sitting down? I'd probably want a longer rod, but your not going to easily find an off the shelf 11' 5wt. You're probably going to be somewhere around a 9' +\- 6".

I started on a 5, my son started on a 5, but that 5 is going to limit the size of fly your going to throw. I quickly "outgrew" my 5, my son will have his first 7wt next week.

I will say this...I bought Steeldrifter's fiberglass 5wt, and it's a pretty forgiving rod for a beginner out casting.

Fiberglass is making a bit of a comeback, and maybe deserves a look.

Bottom line: without knowing anything else, a 9' 5wt will probably get the job done initially.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Mikechell

I was looking at that outfit the other day when I was up there. As a matter of fact, my son even saw it and asked me about it. It is good to see someone who actually uses the fly rod. I will definetly think about that one.

ihang10

He loves to fish for the sunfish which can get to 7-9 inches quite frequently out here. He would also be trying to catch Pickerel, LMB/SMB. Of course catching a bowfish might give him a run for his money on a 5 WT and they are also commom out here where we fish. I have a couple older 7WT fiberglass rods he has been using to learn how to cast, but I wanted him to have his own so he can get the feel of it before he starts casting flies.

Thanks again for the ideas!

I sure you'll get a lot of different opinions. Cabela's, Orvis, Bass Pro and many others offer beginner's rod and reel combos that include fly line. You can probably pick one up for under $150. I started my nephew off with an 8 foot 5 wgt when he was 13, he's now 34. It was a Cabela's package that came with a double taper line I replaced it with a WF floating line.

Depends on how tall he is, what you're fishing for. If you're just fishing for pan fish an 8 1/2 foot 5 wgt would be a good choice. You can even land a decent size bass with one. If bass are also on the menu, then a 8 1/2 foot 6 wgt would be a good choice. Pair either with a WF floating line. As far as rod action, a slow to moderate action rod would be a good choice they're more forgiving than a fast action rod. One suggestion would be, if there is a fly shop around that gives casting lessons, treat him to one. I "taught" my nephew how to cast and he picked up all his uncle's bad habits. A few years later when my niece was dating a fly fisherman in college she asked me to teach her how to fly fish. For her birthday that year I brought her a fly casting lesson at my local shop, along with a rod and reel.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Mikechell

I was looking at that outfit the other day when I was up there. As a matter of fact, my son even saw it and asked me about it. It is good to see someone who actually uses the fly rod. I will definetly think about that one.

He loves to fish for the sunfish which can get to 7-9 inches quite frequently out here. He would also be trying to catch Pickerel, LMB/SMB. Of course catching a bowfish might give him a run for his money on a 5 WT

Most of my rods are 5 weights. I've caught everything you mention on them, except a pickerel. One of the Dogwood Canyons will handle just about anything he'll catch.

Like this Bowfin ... I think I caught it on one.

Mike,

I bet that was fun to catch on a fly rod!! I think I might be taking a trip to Bass Pro tomorrow. I want something he will be happy with and can learn on something he will be using himself. Perfect price range too! Thanks for the suggestion. See Marines have good ideas sometimes! :-)

For lakes and open water and large rivers and especially if you get some windy conditions, I'd start him off on a 9ft 6 wt. with forgiving action, including tip action. Most of your lesser cost rigs will have that overall action by default but look to the tip ( whether 6 or even 5 wt), they may not have that.. I think of rod rigs more in terms of conditions fished than targeted species . I've fished size 20 and 24 midges on a forgiving 6 wt ( Sage Graphite II, I'd take all the blanks I could get if they were still available !) because it could handle the higher winds of Cape Cod we were fishing in and it did very well for decades and yet you could take it salmon fishing in Maine. I can't say my 5 wts do any better handling the flies or fish and it does worse handling the wind. Would I use the 5 vs 6 in terms of fatigue, given the opportunity ? Yes, but we get more windy days than calm ones around here. The 5 feels better in the hand, the 6 fishes just as well and handles more wind, bigger water.

Let me ask this: what do you personally fish with in those same conditions you will take your son in ? And why ? You probably know your local waters better than we do.

Dave,

Thanks for the info! Most of the time I use a 9' 5 WT mainly. Why? because I it feels good in my hands and very comfortable cast. I have bee using that rod for a while. I have three other rods I use very seldom. 9' 9WT (use it in inshore saltwater, striprs, blues, etc.) 8' 7WT and an 8' 6/7 WT. These last 2 are older fiberglass rods that I don't use much anymore. I actually learned how to fly fish on these rods years ago and my son has kind of been messing with these now. I am just looking for something he can learn on so he doesn't get discouraged.

For action you will want to make sure it's more of a moderate action for him. Moderate action rods are much more forgiving to new casters errors and he will not get as discouraged so quickly as he would with a faster action rod. Also stay with a 9ft and nothing shorter. The shorter the rod the quicker the anglers casting stroke needs to be so again you'll want to make it as pleasant learning experience for him as you can so stick with the longer 9ft moderate action rods. Don't worry too much about getting the exact wt rod he needs right off the bat. Just get something that will do the job for now and then later refine it down to the perfect size/wt for him.

As Mike suggested the bass pro White River rods are a good starter rod for new casters. He will eventually outgrow it but to get him started and get him a decent rod that he will be able to learn on and use for a few years then the BPS ones for under $100 are a really good starting point for sure.

steeldrifter,

Thanks for the great info. This is exactly the information I needed to know! I know when I started years ago I used an 8' rod to learn on and I bet (actually, I KNOW) I have a lot of bad habits! I was pretty much self taught and have been thinking of taking my son to Richmond and go through a fly casting class that Orvis has, heck, I should go through it too!

We just don't have any fly shops, except for Bass Pro, in our area that I know of. I did find a club out in the VIrginia Beach area that I have thought of looking into. I want him to learn the correct way! I think like you and Mike stated, I am going to get him the fly rod at Bass Pro. It has everything to get started, except for the flies. He is learning how to do that now (if I can get him away from the girls)!

By the way, you make some beautiful rods. Sure wish I could afford one of them!!

Thanks again!

Rob

The rod matters not. By far the main thing is to have fun catching fish with whatever rod you choose. For that reason I would tend to pick a rod the was more suitable for bluegill, crappie, and smallmouth; fish that are easy and fun to catch.

As for rod line weight, I would tend to go on the light side. It will be less fatigueing and there is something about seeing the rod doubled over by a nice size fish that catches the fisherman too. Maybe something in the 3, 4, 5 range. Remember, there is no standard by which rods are rated.

As for length, a regular 9' should be fine. A 10' will give the fish more leverage and make even a tiny bluegill feel like a whopper, but may be a bit awkward to handle, depending upon his size.

No one rod will fill all of his needs. If he just has fun catching fish, nature and time will take care of the rest.

steeldrifter,

Thanks for the great info. This is exactly the information I needed to know! I know when I started years ago I used an 8' rod to learn on and I bet (actually, I KNOW) I have a lot of bad habits! I was pretty much self taught and have been thinking of taking my son to Richmond and go through a fly casting class that Orvis has, heck, I should go through it too!

We just don't have any fly shops, except for Bass Pro, in our area that I know of. I did find a club out in the VIrginia Beach area that I have thought of looking into. I want him to learn the correct way! I think like you and Mike stated, I am going to get him the fly rod at Bass Pro. It has everything to get started, except for the flies. He is learning how to do that now (if I can get him away from the girls)!

By the way, you make some beautiful rods. Sure wish I could afford one of them!!

Thanks again!

Rob

VA Beach is indeed a very limited fly fishing community.

I think the fly fishing sections at Green Top and the BPS on I95 just North of Richmond have a better selection than the one there in Hampton.

I have never been to the Green Top or BPS north of Richmond. I will have to make a trip up there to see what they have. I heard there was a shop that carries fly fihing and tying items in Virginia Beach by the Lynnhaven inlet, but never got a chance to go out there. Thanks for the info