Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Got some rabbit skins

IMG_0051-1024x768.jpg

Got some rabbit skins the other day to start cutting my own zonkers and to start dying my own material (got to have a winter project!). The strips on the natural brown ended up quite nice:

2014.10.18.dryfly.me_.zonker-1024x640.jp

Tied with the strip above, really enjoyed the process!

2014.10.18.dryfly.me_.kutling-1024x640.j

http://dryfly.me/2014/10/rabbit-skins/

What did you use to cut them with? How do you cut the skin and not cut the fur too? Did you crosscut them or just stripcut them? Just wondering. I am thinking of doing the same thing.

What did you use to cut them with? How do you cut the skin and not cut the fur too? Did you crosscut them or just stripcut them? Just wondering. I am thinking of doing the same thing.

I put together 4 razor blades to get something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWSpL22RuA and then hold the skin tight while just cutting through the skin (be very careful at this point). I straightcut them.

Don't worry about cutting right through the skin on the first pass. I find normally you will but if you are happy to go down a second time you don't press too hard and damage any fur.

I cut a lot of my own too. Only use a single blade, and cut from the hide side. As long as the blade is sharp, I've found I can make some pretty straight cuts & at whatever width I want them. I don't lay them down flat either, as that cuts the hair. I can now stretch out the hides by hand & cut each strip with very little hair loss. Took a bit of practice to do it & is not fast, but does what I need.

Eide, how do you intend to dye them? I tried dyeing some rabbit strips with acid dyes & it took the tanning out of the hide. After dyeing, they dried hard & brittle. I was later told, that the dyeing needs to be done before the tanning process or they need to be re-tanned. unsure.png

For years I bought my rabbit pre-stripped and often chafed since most strips aren't exactly cut with a saltwater tyer's needs in mind... I finally began buying skins and cutting my own strips.. I freehand them as noted by tidewater.... The trick for me came in several moments - the first and best trick was not to use single blade razors since even a brand new one isn't sharp enough... I went to double edged blades and broke each one in half length wise to make two single edges -but still only use one edge at a time. The second breakthrough for me was to use an old clipboard to mount the skin -fur side down. With one end secured properly (and the skin oriented with the head end clamped to the board) it was a simple matter to pull the skin tight and very slightly away from the clipboard so each cut was like a hot knife through butter... I was able to get the exact width I wanted, without losing a single hair... Hope this helps anyone considering stripping their own rabbit skins.... I used to large numbers of tarpon flies with rabbit tails so had a bit of practice....

post-30940-0-78647100-1413662160_thumb.jpg

For years I bought my rabbit pre-stripped and often chafed since most strips aren't exactly cut with a saltwater tyer's needs in mind... I finally began buying skins and cutting my own strips.. I freehand them as noted by tidewater.... The trick for me came in several moments - the first and best trick was not to use single blade razors since even a brand new one isn't sharp enough... I went to double edged blades and broke each one in half length wise to make two single edges -but still only use one edge at a time. The second breakthrough for me was to use an old clipboard to mount the skin -fur side down. With one end secured properly (and the skin oriented with the head end clamped to the board) it was a simple matter to pull the skin tight and very slightly away from the clipboard so each cut was like a hot knife through butter... I was able to get the exact width I wanted, without losing a single hair... Hope this helps anyone considering stripping their own rabbit skins.... I used to large numbers of tarpon flies with rabbit tails so had a bit of practice....

That old clipboard trick is great! Got one around here somewhere, got to dig it out and try it! thanks

I have an old cutting board and a metal straight edge - I use two old vise c-clamps, wrap the edge around the board and clamp down and start cutting.

100_4110.jpg

100_4112.jpg

A really good way to get different color's is to buy the Hairline assorted pieces bag. I get mine from Cabelas when I go out for my grand daughters birthday to Michigan.

100_5864.jpg

This is what was in 1 bag - depending on what way you clamp the fur down you can cut straight or cross-cut strips

100_5871.jpg

Even with all the strips I cut I hardly touched one bag and ended up with this

100_5935.jpg

100_5936.jpg

I've seen the video on how to make that little cutter but I like my fingers!!!!!!LOL