Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Partridge Feathers

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:56 PM

I've got a buddy who shoots grouse and he sent me some feathers from around the neck and body.  They're good for all flies in a variety of sizes.  I have a partridge skin and there are a lot of too-large feathers, but then a number of appropriate-size ones for spiders.

#17 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Currently, I am trying to think of a good pattern using aftershaft feathers.

Try tying Jack Garthside's Sparrow.
https://www.google.c...7LOF6zXqTKNxofw

#18 FlybymikeBC

FlybymikeBC

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:20 AM

Working for the highways dept has advantages...ie. I have no shortage of partridge, grouse, turkey feathers via road kill :'D

#19 Henry Denson

Henry Denson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

Currently, I am trying to think of a good pattern using aftershaft feathers.

Try tying Jack Garthside's Sparrow.
https://www.google.c...7LOF6zXqTKNxofw

Thanks!

#20 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:58 AM

Flyby ... you could start a side business.  Mike's Roadkill Fly Tying Materials, lowest prices off the road !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#21 hankinsfly

hankinsfly

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:03 AM

Buy the skin. Depending on how many flies you tie, you have hundreds of flies worth and much more selection of sizes an colors than in a loose bag. Trust me on this. Maybe you can find someone to go in half with you on a skin...

#22 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,169 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Buy a full skin.

You can't convince me that hairline or any other distributor has professional feather pluckers packing the pristine feathers into tiny zip lock bags 😁
Friday is my second favorite "f" word. Floccinaucinihilipilification is my first.

#23 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:59 AM

Not every one can afford to buy whole skins ... especially with the knowledge of only using a small percentage of the material.

Perhaps, Joe, you can go in with someone,  buy a skin and split it?

What is a bag of partridge feathers, $3-4?  You can buy a full skin for $30.  That full skin has virtually no waste.  Those bags are 80% or more waste.  You can buy 8-10 bags of feathers and I'm willing to bet you won't get as much usable material as you get from one skin.  It's not that much of an expense when you look at it that way, especially if you use a lot of partridge.  If you don't use a lot of partridge, you might not know the frustration and struggle of digging through a bag of fluff looking for a couple of good feathers. 

#24 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

I am just playing devil's advocate here, Cream.  The recommendation to buy a whole $30 skin, just to save the frustration of getting something usable from a $3 bag ... comes from you people who have tons of stuff in storage you may never use.  I see it written on this site all the time.  "I've got Rubbermaid boxes full of skins.  I don't even know what all of them are anymore!"

Some people are only interested in trying a pattern.  Maybe tying a dozen to fish and then move on to something else.

I would rather buy a $3 bag and get a dozen flies from it, than to buy a skin, tie a dozen flies and then leave the skin in a ziplock baggie for the next 20 years 'til I die and Wife sells it.

Just a point of view from a non-hoarding and miserly old man.

Barbed hooks rule!

#25 TheCream

TheCream

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

I am just playing devil's advocate here, Cream.  The recommendation to buy a whole $30 skin, just to save the frustration of getting something usable from a $3 bag ... comes from you people who have tons of stuff in storage you may never use.  I see it written on this site all the time.  "I've got Rubbermaid boxes full of skins.  I don't even know what all of them are anymore!"

Some people are only interested in trying a pattern.  Maybe tying a dozen to fish and then move on to something else.

I would rather buy a $3 bag and get a dozen flies from it, than to buy a skin, tie a dozen flies and then leave the skin in a ziplock baggie for the next 20 years 'til I die and Wife sells it.

Just a point of view from a non-hoarding and miserly old man.

I think you missed the line in each of my posts where I said "if you use a lot of partridge." :)

If you use a lot of partridge, the bags are the waste. 

#26 mikechell

mikechell

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,428 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

I did miss that ... dry.png

And I agree with your quoted line.  happy.png

Barbed hooks rule!

#27 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

Those too large feathers can be used on very small patterns with a trick used by European tyers for years.  Barry Ord Clark has a video on how to do it but it is essentially done by cutting off the barbs at the stem, bunching them to size at the tie-in point, and trimming away the excess. Works like a charm.

You can also use the bigger feathers with distinctive markings as hackle features on mini intruders for trout and steelhead.

Rocco    

#28 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

Just stumbled onto an even better use for larger feathers -- in composite loops for trout size wet flies!   Check this out on youtube.

Composite Soft Hackle, Size 14 - OPST