Fly Tying
Trouttramp

The challenge thread!

Dyret Challenge fly 800.JPG

Dyret (Animal/Beast)

Hook - Mustad 94840 or equivalent, 10-16
Thread - Brown
Head/tail - Deer hair
Hackle - Brown, trim off the bottom (original was not trimmed but nowadays it is)
Body - Olive superfine or kapok dubbing

Change hackle and dubbing color as desired

Mr Rapidan 1080.JPG

Mr. Rapidan

Harry Murray

Hook - Mustad Heritage R50AP (94840)
Thread - Tan
Wing - Yellow calf tail
Tail - Moose body hair
Body - Tan kapok dubbing
Hackle - Brown and grizzly

1 hour ago, flytire said:

Nelson's Caddis

I take it never tied this pattern so Ill give it a go after my poodle gets his hair cut today.

Nelson's Caddis (Nelson Ishiyama)

I found two patterns for the fly. First was a simple wing, second pattern and I think the original pattern with 2 bunches of hair for the wing. The antenna is optional but noted on the second pattern. I believe this pattern was originated in Henry's Fork but not 100% sure. I like the second pattern and need to tie it in a few other colors.

Hook- Mustad 94840, thread- brown, tail- deer hair tied short, body- olive brown dubbing, wing- deer hair (1st single bunch, second two bunches), hackle-dark ginger, antenna-moose mane.

Apologize for the delay I suffered a migraine yesterday and did nothing all day a little fuzzy still today must be the humidity.

Next fly up Smokey Mountain Blackbird

nelsoncaddis.jpg

nelsoncaddis2.jpg

45 minutes ago, cphubert said:

Nelson's Caddis 

Nice tie. Glad you're feeling better, looks to be much cooler today. 

Good choice for next challenge - I'll take it. 

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

Nelson's Caddis (Nelson Ishiyama)

I found two patterns for the fly. First was a simple wing, second pattern and I think the original pattern with 2 bunches of hair for the wing. The antenna is optional but noted on the second pattern. I believe this pattern was originated in Henry's Fork but not 100% sure. I like the second pattern and need to tie it in a few other colors.

Hook- Mustad 94840, thread- brown, tail- deer hair tied short, body- olive brown dubbing, wing- deer hair (1st single bunch, second two bunches), hackle-dark ginger, antenna-moose mane.

Apologize for the delay I suffered a migraine yesterday and did nothing all day a little fuzzy still today must be the humidity.

nelsoncaddis.jpg

nelsoncaddis2.jpg

Thank you for tying that fly. It brings back a lot of very fond memories for me from 48 years ago when I first met Nelson.

Nelson Ishiyama, the originator of Nelson's Caddis, is a fraternity brother of mine and a personal friend.

We both attended Stanford University. I stayed for Stanford medical school and Nelson stayed and got a Stanford law degree and then a Stanford MBA. So we have known each other a very long time.

Nelson was a personal friend of Mel and Fanny Krieger and he edited Mel's book, The Essence of Fly Casting.

Among his many businesses, Nelson owns the Henry's Fork Lodge and can be found fishing "The Fork" with his bamboo fly rod.

https://west.stanford.edu/people/nelson-ishiyama

https://www.henrysforklodge.com/your-hosts

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Nelson Ishiyama,

SilverCreek I was not sure of the Henry Fork origin, found listings for New Zeeland then a few for the Delaware river and PA. Thank you for your commentary, I always enjoy the history behind a pattern there is more to this site then hooks, thread and feathers!

Smoky Mountain Blackbird

Smoky-Mountain-Blackbird.jpg

Hook: #14, 2xl

Thread: black

Weight: .02 lead wire

Tail: starling

Body: peacock hurl

Rib: Starling, spilt primary, leading edge

Used the recipe listed by L. J. DeCuir in his book Southeastern Flies (2001)

Bit of prep work for that palmered feather.  Love the white tips on the starling.  

Tied in the same style as the Yallerhammer, not surprisingly since both originated in the Smoky Mountain region.  

Yallerhammer-12.jpg

Neil Norman has a nice little write up on his now dormant blog SOFT HACKLES, TIGHT LINES

https://softhacklepatternbook.blogspot.com/2017/02/smoky-mountain-blackbird-crow-fly-or.html