Fly Tying
vicrider

Rocky and Bullwinkle... Note - Now at 13 and done

You shot that poor thing in the head? Since I only tie with the tail myself I just shoot the tails off them. They grow new tails don't they? 

I have tried to get squirrels myself but they have an uncanny ability to keep moving to the back side of the tree on me. I have a newphew who loves the meat and gets me tails once in a while. That tail is usable of course but when I lived in IL we had those big guys with a tail you could tie musky flies with. Wish I could get a couple of those tails.

9 minutes ago, vicrider said:

You shot that poor thing in the head? Since I only tie with the tail myself I just shoot the tails off them. They grow new tails don't they? 

I have tried to get squirrels myself but they have an uncanny ability to keep moving to the back side of the tree on me. I have a newphew who loves the meat and gets me tails once in a while. That tail is usable of course but when I lived in IL we had those big guys with a tail you could tie musky flies with. Wish I could get a couple of those tails.

I recall the same when I lived in Illinois (Girard - 30miles South of Springfield).  We had some house cat sized squirrels over at our hunting property in Greene County (White Hall/ Roodhouse)

On 1/25/2023 at 8:35 PM, Squeezy said:

Finally had some luck in the woods - believe it get hunted pretty hard being state land so close to a highly populated area. The hide/tail are currently under a thick coat of Borax so hopefully be ready in a week or so to get a dozen something or another tied up with fresh Michigan squirrel. 

son was impressed I could shoot a squirrel right in the head and save all that hair for tying. Little does he know- probably couldn’t make that difficult of a shot again - that little guy was hiding well way up in a large oak.

E20204EF-9E28-471E-ACA2-436AB28316E8.jpeg

D5509D0C-BC5F-43D7-BE96-4714D8A76F14.jpeg

I've got some in my attic!  I'll split any skins with you!!I could also show your son how to tie UGLY flies!

Are you sure that's not a woodchuck with a long tail??

Kim 

1 hour ago, WWKimba said:

I've got some in my attic!  I'll split any skins with you!!I could also show your son how to tie UGLY flies!

Kim 

Got some what? Squirrels in the attic? Until they worked on the roof my daughter had squirrels in her attic. She also had a big, healthy Matiff. One day a squirrel got down into her house. She spent most of a day repairing and straightening out the damage done. Dog never did get the squirrel but gave it a hell of a try.

17 hours ago, vicrider said:

Got some what? Squirrels in the attic? Until they worked on the roof my daughter had squirrels in her attic. She also had a big, healthy Matiff. One day a squirrel got down into her house. She spent most of a day repairing and straightening out the damage done. Dog never did get the squirrel but gave it a hell of a try.

Yep, live and moving!  For such small animals with such small feet, they sound like me running in army boots! (only MUCH faster!).🙄  Since they are alive I believe they still have fur on em!!🤔

Kim

On 1/27/2023 at 3:42 PM, WWKimba said:

Kim 

Bullwinkle is going to be mad

Wasn’t able to utilize the squirrel we harvested…. Next swap it’ll be ready. Headed to post office today. 

230675D6-6B46-40D4-95C8-B80D00C816F6.jpeg

Some very nice additions to the swap arrived today from Squeezy and John 1986. Looking very good like all the swaps on this board do.

Will be sorting these today. Stabgnid's flies are either hiding in my house somewhere or on their way. He's checking to see which it is.

Okay, Stabgnid flies will reach here Saturday according to Pony Express so I'll get them sorted and out on Monday. It's a nice looking set with plenty of bonus flies.