Fly Tying

Tying in the recliner

9 hours ago, MuskyFlyGuy said:

I tie at my tying desk and have Classical Music on to help organize my brain. 

Same here. I love tying flies while listening to Ludovico Einaudi.

Never tied in a recliner, I always tend to lean forward when I tie so don't think I could get use to sitting in a recliner tying.

Thanks for the replies.  What little I have tied the tv is just background noise.  I have tied a few wooley buggers so far but no room to put a desk for tying.  Just seeing if someone had a better solution.

2 hours ago, 358 said:

Thanks for the replies.  What little I have tied the tv is just background noise.  I have tied a few wooley buggers so far but no room to put a desk for tying.  Just seeing if someone had a better solution.

Kitchen table?

7 hours ago, 358 said:

TV snack table in front of your recliner is probably the easiest short-term solution.  You’ll probably want a Dust Vac too.

Yep, for about 20yrs.  A lap board with a heavy pedestal vice does the trick for me.  Works quite well actually, tied thousands of flies like that, everything from #22 Catskill drys to 5/0 bass bugs and saltwater streamers.  A good vacuum and pets that don't treat feathers like the beast thing ever really helps.  That said, there are many advantages to tying at a table.  These days I tie at table but my back hates me for it.  And yes I often watch TV while tying.  Not saying my ways, past and present, are better or worse.  You can tie many places you may need to adjust some things to make it work.

Swamp

I built this bench specifically for tying in my recliner - I designed it so that I could sit (with the footrest down) and slide the bench up over my lap. It worked great, and I spent many a freezing Michigan winter afternoon and evening cozied up making bugs. 

recliner tying desk 1.jpg

recliner tying desk 2.jpg

1 hour ago, Trouttramp said:

backgrounds

profile plate they are found by most vise manufactures but most will be usable for any vise with a 3/8ths stem. Additionally, you can use a document holder and any color heavy paper for background effect, flytire has one shown in the tips and tricks tab, page 3, quick easy and inexpensive.

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

profile plate they are found by most vise manufactures but most will be usable for any vise with a 3/8ths stem. Additionally, you can use a document holder and any color heavy paper for background effect, flytire has one shown in the tips and tricks tab, page 3, quick easy and inexpensive.

Found one on Amazon for a reasonable price, can’t believe I haven’t got one earlier.

14 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

I built this bench specifically for tying in my recliner

Nice job. 

10 minutes ago, 358 said:

Nice desk Trouttramp.  Would be perfect if my back wasn't so messed up.

That’s Byron’s awesome desk. I was just asking about the backdrop. 

And yes, it’s a great desk. I asked my wife if I should build one…………….and……well, no desk for me.