Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Hellgramites

Very nice.  I would like to suggest a tool I personally use for needlework for at least a decade or more.  It is a tiny latch hook.  The great part is the latch is actually spring loaded, You can push it through your work, snag your thread.  The latch closes as you draw it through your work, not snagging on all the other material as an open hook would.  Once you clear the work, the latch pops open once the pressure is off.  I included the refill in the picture so the name is there.  I’m sorry the pic is dark.  It was hard not getting glare off the metal hook or plastic bag.  I wanted to show how truly tiny this hook is. Some beads fits right over it, making it easy to put a bead on the hook, then grab a thread and pull it through the bead, adding a bead for an eye.  You can see the latch is sticking out 90 degrees or more, including the ones in the refill package.  That is the normal position, from the spring holding it open.
 Clover 9900 Kantan Couture Bead Embroidery Tool  

on Amazon, there is a short video showing how the tool works, and probably on YouTube, too.  That would make more sense than what I tried to explain.

it is very handy and holds up well.  I think in ten or so years, I’ve replaced the hook part twice because the spring broke, and did a lot of tambour style embroidery with it, along with tons of crochet finishing,  You could use the handle to hold a sewing needle for a pick, so it could do double duty.

best regard, LisaLou

IMG_5085.jpeg

7 hours ago, LisaLou said:

suggest a tool

Thank you, LL. I always wondered where they got those hopper leg tools, I just ordered a few refills on Amazon.

12 hours ago, LisaLou said:

Very nice.  I would like to suggest a tool I personally use for needlework for at least a decade or more.  It is a tiny latch hook.  The great part is the latch is actually spring loaded, You can push it through your work, snag your thread.  The latch closes as you draw it through your work, not snagging on all the other material as an open hook would.  Once you clear the work, the latch pops open once the pressure is off.  I included the refill in the picture so the name is there.  I’m sorry the pic is dark.  It was hard not getting glare off the metal hook or plastic bag.  I wanted to show how truly tiny this hook is. Some beads fits right over it, making it easy to put a bead on the hook, then grab a thread and pull it through the bead, adding a bead for an eye.  You can see the latch is sticking out 90 degrees or more, including the ones in the refill package.  That is the normal position, from the spring holding it open.
 Clover 9900 Kantan Couture Bead Embroidery Tool  

on Amazon, there is a short video showing how the tool works, and probably on YouTube, too.  That would make more sense than what I tried to explain.

it is very handy and holds up well.  I think in ten or so years, I’ve replaced the hook part twice because the spring broke, and did a lot of tambour style embroidery with it, along with tons of crochet finishing,  You could use the handle to hold a sewing needle for a pick, so it could do double duty.

best regard, LisaLou

IMG_5085.jpeg

Thank you, Lisalou.