Fly Tying

After tying a some Muddlers in early March I ended up going on a weeks long deer hair tying bender.  The extended family came to my place for Easter dinner, since all that’s on my mind these days is fly tying, my mom warned she wanted a demo of my new hobby.  This led to a deep clean of my office space and time to put the deer hair away for a few days anyways.  

After that was done, I decided to start work on a fully dressed fly, it had been a few months since I tied the Jock Scott and I was looking something without a married wing this round.  I picked up a partial Skin so I decided to try the Lady Amherst.  

IMG_2796.thumb.jpeg.415597fa8856bc2c02207ae541872af3.jpeg

Mom didn’t realize that there was more to fly tying than just making bugs and was quite impressed.  It’s her birthday soon and this one is going in a frame for her as a gift for that. 

It’s very very lovely and you clearly have a handle on your new hobby!  
You could tie a fly over an ornate, decorative pin like for a kilt, and make a broach or skirt pin for her.  I plan on making some earrings using fly tying techniques.  I’m not into fashion as all, but I’ve had a female friend tell me she would love some earrings as she now changes her earrings to match her outfit, even for casual wear at home.  She informed me Earrings are now very “in” as it’s a quick way to change your look and they take up little room as for as accessories go.  We were teens during Stevie Nicks height of popularity in the 1980’s and have a soft spot for feather earrings and anything boho and gypsy looking.  
I think a salmon fly on a kilt of skirt pin, or made into a tie clip bar for a guy would be a really classy and wearable gift for anyone.  My brother and sister in law dress up fancy for dining out quite often and will probably be my first fashion victims.  

You can get ornate kilt pins earring findings at any craft and jewelry supply. Here is what I am talking about.   Mother’s Day is right around the corner and Christmas will be here before we know it!  You have her birthday covered.  She can really show everyone who is the favorite kid and support your new hobby by wearing a fly.  Trust me, your smug factor will be quite high when mom wears your handmade gift out to Mother’s Day brunch.

https://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-kilt-pins.html

Heff2 - GREAT looking fly! Nice flow, good proportions, all the parts set in place spot on...especially those horns.
As a bit of a nut on the subject, I must ask - What kind of hook?

Thanks All,  It's said this pattern had caught some record salmon but I'm not so sure I could bring myself to fish it.   

Lisa, that is interesting,  I hadn't thought of jewelry but I sent this to a friend and they suggested the same.  I worry about the durability of them as a wearable but I suppose that's the case with any ornate broach.  

SalarMan,  I would think you would know,  it's  a 3/0 price Tannatt Gaelic Supreme.   Thank you again for these,  I've purchased some more blind eye hooks online but they are yet to arrive.  It's challenging to source the fully dressed supplies in Canada but I'm picking away at it.       

3 hours ago, Heff2 said:

SalarMan,  I would think you would know,  it's  a 3/0 price Tannatt Gaelic Supreme.   Thank you again for these,  I've purchased some more blind eye hooks online but they are yet to arrive.  It's challenging to source the fully dressed supplies in Canada but I'm picking away at it.       

You're right about me in that I should know the hook  maker and model. BUT...with everything in place it isn't always easy to tell what the hook may be. 🤪

What about John McLain at feathersmc.com  for materials. I would think shipping to Canada isn't a problem for him.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

John McLain at feathersmc.com

I'll give that a shot,  I try to shop in person but I've heard nothing but the best about what John sends out so I'll give it a try for the items he can ship.  Can't seem to find any dyed turkey tails to upgrade from goose shoulder and I would really like some bustard but it seems it can't be shipped international.  I think I'll get the hard wax to help with getting a more compact head 

19 hours ago, Heff2 said:

I'll give that a shot,  I try to shop in person but I've heard nothing but the best about what John sends out so I'll give it a try for the items he can ship.  Can't seem to find any dyed turkey tails to upgrade from goose shoulder and I would really like some bustard but it seems it can't be shipped international.  I think I'll get the hard wax to help with getting a more compact head 

Well I took a look on ebay for dyed turkey tails, and while there were plenty to be seen the quality looked pretty sad. I know John doesn't have any and its availability unfortunately seems to run in cycles. In an ideal world we'd all tie these flies with dyed swan...but that ain't happening at the moment. What little is out there is way too expensive.

There was a lot of 15 pairs of different colours a few weeks back but I got out bid at $260

Norm is right, and all that is needed is patience to work your way through the sites.

Thx Norm,  I’ll give those a try too.  Moonlight looks to have quite the selection.  

oddly enough, I went to my local craft store at lunch to get some storage boxes. They has a wall of goose and turkey feathers, while I hate when the internet listens in and offers me what I’m looking for, I do appreciate it when it happens organically.  IMG_2673.thumb.jpeg.d0a45e4301d39221bf19c7373e35440d.jpeg

The quality and length might not be exactly what I want but they were $4 for 3 matched pairs so I bought a few colours.  2.5 - 3 inch barbs, I should be able to tie up to 3/0, might keep me from stretching them too long even.