Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cutthroat

Tying parachutes

I'm doing some experimenting with parachutes. Does anybody have any suggestions on unusual materials that can be used for wing posts? Thanks

You can try foam, elk hair, sparkle yarn, cdc, what ever. Let your imagination run wild and see what happens.

I'm quite partial to calf body hair. It's easy to compress and so does not bulk up the body, plus it retains it's shape when wet, unlike many of the synthetics which tend to go 'frizzy'.

Fred

duster material, thread as a paraloop. golden pheasant tippet, carasoul type flies tied using tippet. medalion sheeting. some flies the hackles are tied to the bottom of the shank,on the stems of hackle tip wings, c.d.c feathers, white ostrich herl, anything that is leagle could be used

Hi cutthroat,

In a pinch one time I used baling twine and it worked just fine. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

THere are a thousand things you can use I have used kip tail. cdc. foam, deer hair, and elk hair. I am sure I have missed something but can't reemeber. I like Al's bailing twine that is creative. But I like a bright color to be able to see it.

FM