Fly Tying
getholdofjoru

Juicing Flies

Here's a question I'd like to pose, and not wanting to get into a debate about the purity of doping flies, but does anyone use an attractant on their flies or do they pretreat them before fishing and if you do, what do you use?

Doping flies? :o Call Congress to enact a new anti-doping policy. We must stop this before more little flies pick up on this epidemic. I think it should be a 2 year ban for the first offense and a lifetime ban for the 2nd. Oh wait, you meant scent. :wallbash: Sorry, I just couldn't resist. No I dont't.

Hi getholdofjoru,

I put fly float on the dries and usually take a new nymph and "squirm" it around in some river muck to remove the human smell, wash it off and go fishing. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Nitroglycern then shake them like heck and run!!!!!! Wintergreen scoal is Ok But I perfer apple it sticks better and is better for your teeth!!! HA

I've wanted to try the oil left in a can of sardines after I eat them, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Here's a question I'd like to pose, and not wanting to get into a debate about the purity of doping flies, but does anyone use an attractant on their flies or do they pretreat them before fishing and if you do, what do you use?

Well it seems I'm in the minority, but I'll use scent when necessary. I find adding scent to be an excellent idea when fishing for channel cats, sometime for smallmouth. Typically we're talking about a slow (dead) day and then it's not like fishing a stink bait. I carry a small bottle of crayfish scent purchased at the local BP. One little spritz and sometimes it will be enough to convince that lock-jawed fish to take a taste. Very important trigger if sight fishing for catfish - and carp, too!

No, it's not bait fishing. You still need to present the fly. The amount of scent on a size 10 crayfish imitation won't carry far in the water. Under tough conditions, though, it might bring a strike where you'd otherwise be blanked.

Joe C.

Oh no, what are the purist gonna think? :hyst: Other than a little wd40 on the dry's, nothing.

I've read that WD-40 is pretty common on Glo-bugs and other Steelhead flies, it contains anise I believe.

Good Day,

Hmmm, well here in Michigan the only treatment locally is Mykiss Mouse (some use WD-40, or anise oil...)on eggs. I have heard of people using tuna or some other fish oil for streamers in saltwater. Don't see why it wouldn't work in fresh water. Now on the other hand, there really is no point in doping or scenting nymphs as they generally are "inert" in their smell or flavor with regard to the water around them. It is best to simp-ly rub them a bit in streamside mud to help remove scents rather than add them. Also, a nymph shouldn't smell like an egg! Wary fish will be aware of this and not bite.

No comment on the ethics. However, certainly wouldn't do it on flies only water.

Steelie

I never even considered using an attractant, I figured the fly was enough (will try something next year though menthol cigs sounds like a plan).

Chris