Fly Tying
bluegill girl

What are your favorite bluegill flys?

Yup, any trout fly will do the trick. I like to stick with classic ties suck as an adams or royal coachman tied in a size 10 or 12.

IPB Image

Small dalberg divers. Dad now swears by this streamer called a green hornet, basicly it is a green and white deciever with a red head.

Ridderbos ties a sweet squriel nymph! Have you dad swip some from his table at the mason show!! And if he does be ready to rub in you instant sucess and super hero powers!!!! You will be the super gill princess!!!! Then your dad will cry in his defeat while cleaning and frying your dinner!

I like the bully spiders in pink or chartruese, as tied by Terry and Roxanne Wilson. Great flies.

I'll second that suggestion. A Bully's in hot pink with white rubber legs is an awesome fall pattern for late season gills. Early season I like a wolly worm tied with yellow yarn body, peacock herl back and grizzly soft hackle with a wisp of red feather barbs for a tail - lightly weighted. On the surface, expecially during early summer a delta wing Adams is my "go to" in a size 12.

Tight lines

Joe C.

Hard to beat a foam spider in my book. I haven't found anything better.

I always seem to catch some bigger ones on a #6 clouser minnow as long as there is chartreuse in it. The spider is still better, though.

I had a very nice summer with a foam cricket that I posted here. You can even use yellow dubbing and brown foam and legs for a quick hopper. Or use all foam for a hopper similiar to this. It worked well for me also this summer. Even after losing the legs they still worked.

IPB Image

Good luck and welcome to one of the best activities there is!

Trout flies do work on bluegills, but I find that they can shred them in a hurry. An exception might be the Elk Hair Caddis. This fly seems to take a lickin', and keeps on tickin'. Also, I found that if the water you are fishing is loaded with a particular insect, you will do best with it. I was slaying with a caddis larva immitation tied using Hare-Tron, light #1. I lost my last one, and the only thing I had left was a hare's ear. They would not touch it!! I switched to a scud tied with the same material, and caught fish after fish. I tied the hare's ear back on.....nothing! I later found that this lake has an abundance of scuds, and caddis. As long as you used patterns resembling some life cycle of this forage, you were in the money. Another odd thing was how these particular bluegills would not touch black. If you found a black ant, and threw it in the water over fish....nothing. A black cricket thrown in amongst them....nothing! A black fly of any kind....nothing. A sz 6 yellow wooly worm with a red tag...deadly! Can't figure out what it was supposed to represent. It must have looked good, though, because I also took an 18" crappie out of this place with it!

I like using gill getters, which are a slowly sinking tpider type fly with rubber hackle legs. a link to that pattern is below:

http://chemprof.tripod.com/getter.html

the gill getter is my favorite fly, since it easy and quick to tie, and the bluegills like it. Because it is easy to tie, I often get a little daring in where I try to cast with it...I've left my share on cypress trees in the middle of the pond.

I also like using a fly called a brim fly, which is similar. A link to that one is below:

http://chemprof.tripod.com/brimfly.htm

I've got quite a few flies you might be interested in trying to tie at my website, most aren't too hard. The bass and panfish section is at:

http://chemprof.tripod.com/panbass.html

The main page is in my sig below. Have some fun with whatever you decide to tie.

Mark Delaney

My favorites are the "gill getter" & "catalpa worm". I tie both from examples in Fly Fishing & Flies by Terry & Roxanne Wilson. Lots of good color pictures with details. Also great reading about 'gill fishing too. I also like a plain black wet fly with black hackle on a 10 or 12 hook. I'd suggest the above book as a good reference for you. It's ISBN #1-57188-176-x. I got mine at Amazon for about $18. Happy fishun.