Fly Tying
chrisedie

True Rotary Vice Recommendations

There are many true rotary vises on the market to choose from, depending on what your budget might be you can get an ok true rotary for about $45.00 to take an inexpensive test drive and get the feel for what true rotary tying feels like. It is hard to wrong with any of the bigger brand name true rotary vises made by Griffin, Renzetti or Dyna King but if you give more info then i am sure you will get some better responses.

That depends on what your price range is. If $200 does no scare you off then I would definitely invest in a Dyna King.

Hello All,

It seems that this is a perpetual topic that is raised every couple of months in one way or another. Before I recommend for you to buy a Renzetti, I do think it is worthwhile to make a comment regarding the most common concern I've heard about Renzetti. I know that quite a few people have complained about Renzetti's customer service (or lack therefore of), but I have never had any problems at all with them. When I bought a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler several years ago, I opened up the box to discover that the main shaft was missing. A replacement shaft is available for purchase through Renzetti for 25.00 dollars, but I think most everyone would agree that it isn't fair to have to purchase a replacement part that was never included in the first place. Instead of calling up Renzetti and demanding them to send me my free replacement shaft, I called them up and told them how highly I thought of thier vises, and how I had bought Renzetti vises for my Dad's birthday and as a wedding present for my best friend. I went on and on about how I had owned half a dozen vises at one point or another, and now I only tied on a Renzetti vise because I believe them to be the finest vises in the world. When I got done with my little speech, they were so impressed with me as a customer that they sent me a replacement shaft free of charge. After I received my replacement shaft, I called them up to tell them "Thank You". Since that time, I have contacted Renzetti on three separate occasions regarding replacements for worn out parts and using the same strategy as above, Renzetti has replaced those parts free of charge.

My point here is that sometimes it pays to use a little tact and social skills when dealing with difficult people.

And by the way, my recommendation would be for you to go with the Renzetti w/ cam jaws. They are the only vises that I've ever purchased that I didn't later regret.

Keep it deep,

whippersnapper

I am flat out new to tying. Ive only been doing it for a few months. I havent learned what brand of vise or materials is best yet. However, I know that if I spent the money on an expensive vise like you say I would be a bit irritated about a missing part. I dont know the circumstances of your situation or where you got the vise. Someone else in a store may have taken the missing part. If you ordered the vise from Renzetti themselves, or it would be unlikely for someone else to have taken the part than yes you would have the right to be pissed. Granted, yelling at them isnt going to get much done. I just think that you shouldnt have to suck up to them for them to give you a missing part that most likely was there fault to begin with.

Im not trying to argue with you or hijack this post, but applauding them for doing something free of charge anyone of us would have expected them to do is a bit over the top.

I do however understand that any company will work with you if you just be nice, instead of yelling at them about their mistake.

I agree that the most recognized name brands will not disappoint, yet a vise is like a rod and has to fit you. Here is an unbiased review of almost all of them click here

I am also a fan of the Renzetti Traveler. I don't do rotary tying so I won't comment on that aspect of it. I am also not crazy about Renzetti's customer service/attitude.

By the way, I own the screw lock version of the Traveller and like it just fine. I don't see what the big deal is about cam-lock. Unless you are doing production tying, I don't see what advantages it has. Frankly with the screw-lock I think it's easier because you can adjust for the hook size and tighten the jaws all in one action.

My concerns with Renzetti Travelers have nothing to do with customer service. They have to do with hook slippage in the cam lock jaws. Since I changed to a Dynaking, I have never had such a problem.

I think 'true rotary' function is a bit overemphasized, as is the importance of which model vise one chooses. While it's always a matter of personal preference, most decent tyers can easily tie on just about any vise out there, provided it holds the hook. Some have slight advantage in certain areas, but most of this is overblown.

I use a Renzetti Presentation and a Traveler (both non-cam). They are fine vises. I mainly just use the true rotary feature for applying ribbing on streamers, wets, nymphs.... and this is a great reason to have it. Beyond that, all I *really* need the vise to do is rotate so that I can see the other side or turn the fly upside down. Granted, a vise that keeps the hook shank horizontal is probably a bit more desirable than one which doesn't. I started my tying with a Thompson Pro, which I still own and am still able to tie a nice fly on.

Dyna Kings are impeccably machined as well, and are rock solid too. Many commercial tyers prefer the Regal rotary, for its quick-in hook holding ability, but this is not true center axis rotation. Some people like the Norvise, which is more like a lathe and a little more sizeable to travel with. On the value end, many have and like the Danvise.

I've used a Renzetti Traveler for over 12 yrs now and have had no hook slip problems. Since Its 12 yrs old it is not the cam jam, its the screw lock jaw, so maybe thats the reason I have not had any slkippage problems with mine.

I've had the cam renzetti for a while and love it. Haven't had the need for service yet, luckily. No issues with slippage from 28 up to reafing on a wing on a 3/0 extra long partridge blind-eye. Snap some threads now and then too. It would be nice to have both bases at times. Is another $50 worth the next step up, or even $200? I don't know, but it'll be a bit before I find out. The most important thing is the tying improves when your use to the vice you have, whatever it is. It took a bit to get use to this one from my last vice.

When it was time to buy a new vise, I visited a few fly shops and Cabelas. They all allowed me to tie a fly or two on every vise they sell. I ended up with the dyna-king trekker. It just fit my hands and style better than the others (both more and less expensive) I tied on.

The true rotery feature is very useful, and I find more uses for it all the time when tying. (tied for the last 30 years on a non rotery). When first using a rotery, I had to think, "how could the rotery make this better and faster." Just took some getting used to.

Dyna king is a bigger and heaver hunk of iron, just made for my big fat fingers.

Conehead