Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Bead to hook size ???

Huge problem here is it doesn't matter what size you order, as most retailers seem to think of a number and stick that on as a size. If you have any of the old ones you could measure those but the number is really meaningless. Its a bit like hook sizes in that respect. I keep a few sizes in stock that I know will cover the range of bead heads I'm normally asked to tie and just re stock from the same retailer. I'm in a position to buy them by the thousand so that's a huge advantage. Both on cost and consistency.

It doesn't help that people measure beads in different ways. Some across the diameter some will measure across the edges of the hole. Just to further muddle things up they will not tell you how they have arrived at the number.

As with hooks it is really our fault for accepting this. If we agree a standard set of definitions for sizing and refuse to buy anything that isn't rated according to the standard definition manufacturers will very quickly get their act together. (That doesn't mean they have to be made to the standard, just the difference stated on the packaging so you know what you are dealing with).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Cheers,

C.

It should be understood that bead to hook charts are approximations of what size beads fit what size hooks and should not be considered as actual science. All fly tyers have the option to to install a different size bead for a given hook.

It will take a slightly larger hole for the bead to fit a given hook size and that may mean a larger bead than you want to use.

I guess i went about things all wrong dry.gif

I've never even considered it because my wife picks them up at local beading stores, and i just pick through till it fits. biggrin.gif But for some reason she runs out of these golden and rainbow colored ones quite often hysterical.gif

LOL...that's me :D I go through them, pick up a bead, and find the size hook it fits.

I appreciate this thread too...I can order what I want now instead of raiding her crafting beads!

I just bought a pack of wapsi cyclops beads in 7/64 and they're supposed to fit 12,14,16. I tried to put them on a mustad 3x size 16 nymph sproat and they don't fit. I thought on the 16 they would fit even though its 3x heavy, but no go. Those charts are for 1X dry/ nymph hooks. You guys probably already know this but I just figured it out so I thought I would put it out there. They would probably fit a 2x also.

I got this chart from J.S. Fly Fishing with an order it has been useful.

But I can't get it to show right side up.

post-52247-0-14210400-1402419364_thumb.jpg

Steve... according to my Kaufman catalogue...

1/16"....1.5mm ....20-26

5/64th" ...2.0 mm 16-20

3/32" .....2.3mm 14-18

7/64" .... 2.8mm 12-16

1/8" .....3.3mm 10-14

3/16" ...3.8mm 6-10

3/16" ....4.8mm 2-8

1/4" .....6.4mm 1/0-4

Hope this helps you.

Mike

This is a great table which I've saved for future reference .I think there is a minor error - the 3.8mm size should read 5/32" (there are two 3/16" sizes for 4.8mm and 3.8mm in the above table).

Cheers.

Looks like what I have would be perfect for, say, a #8 Bead-Head Wooly Bugger and too large for a #14 Bead-Head Hare's Ear nymph. Am I correct?

Great page, always good to know some of this. I have been always on the cheaper side and used the cheap craft store beads, but found the ones at the fly shop easier to work with. I got an old friend that handed me a couple beadheads, they were really heavy and little different looking. Come find out they were guitar beads. Talk about little trout slayers. Probably not a cheaper rout though.

I’ve gotten to the point if they don’t fit around the bend of a hook i take a dremel tool and bore them out with a drill bit until they fit.   Granted i dont tie much for trout but i use whatever looks close at this point.   My closest lfs is 45 min to an hour away.