Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mb82

Frogs

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but most of the frog patterns out there are topwater. I personally have never seen a frog swim across the surface. Whenever I see one jump in the water they imediatly head for the bottom and swim along the bottom. Maybe I just am not seeing many frogs but this was an observation I had.

I see them all the time at the surface with their heads sticking out of the water, but now that you mention it I can't recall ever seeing one actually swim on the surface. Maybe the patterns reprisent a wounded frog at the surface tryin to get to shore? :dunno:

or just as an attractor...

I know that there is a group of guys on 'the tour' that have taken to Carolina rigging frog style topwater soft plastics or actually using a straight shank jig hook to get the 'swim' underwater. That being said you may be on to something...we need a good set of subsurface frog patterns :o

I use topwater frog patterns in two situations:

1. To imitate a wounded frog

2. To imitate a frog (healthy or unhealthy) having trouble getting from pad to pad in a field of cover, or trying to get to another piece of cover quickly

Most frogs swim near the bottom, but when they are in an area with decent vegetation it really doesn't make any sense for them to go four feet down to the bottom, swim one foot to the right, and them swim four feet back up to get onto another pad that's only a foot to the right. They just swim across the top, straight lined, for a foot.

Good topic.

Good point about in vegitation. Now I guess someone is going to have to come up with a good subsurface frog pattern.

I think somebody could make a modification to a sculpin pattern and come up with something that looks "froggy". :dunno:

Do a diver in frog colors on a sinking line. Let the line actually work on the bottom, keeping the frog just above.

Could something be done closure style for a sinking frog? Kinda like a crayfish, but with a bulkier green body and legs in back instead of pinchers in front???

I use deer hair bugs on a full sinker with a long leader. The fly stays on the surface untill striped. Think of the action of a floating rapala.

This sound a lil like a challenge.. hehe, let them creative juices flow and see if we cant get this niche filled.. :cheers: I have seen frogs swim along the surface.. maybe the reason this is so rarely seen is, evertime it happens that frog gets hammered.. they will swim along lilypads and shallow waters, but it does seem they swim along the bottom alot more often. Come to think of it, the colours of the frogs in my area are better suited to the bottom of the water then on shore.. hmm back to the tying desk for this guy.

This will sound a bit twisted but...... you did ask about frogs swimming on the surface.....

Growing up at the cottage my brother and I used to catch frogs and throw them as far as we could over a weedbed. They would swim for shore as fast as they could on the surface. If you want to see water swirl and boil and your conscience doesn't bother you ........ you will be present to a pretty amazing show of a bass "attacking" a surface swimming frog.

And then there was that time my brother and I decided to mount a bluegill for our cottage wall........

Materials needed:

- lots of kleenex

- 12" of 2 x 6 (cedar)

- 1 nail

- hammer