Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

Do you like your bench?

Juunis

That is awesome! Well done brother! :clapping: :clapping:

BFR

Here's my main tying area. I posted a picture of the whole area, which is in a corner of the basement, before but have added a custom made cabinent. The table is our old dining room table which gives a lot of surface area. Similar tables can be found for little costs in used furniture stores.

Dave

post-58-1163185945_thumb.jpg

IPB ImageIPB Image

This is the Made2fly tying setup I have

Also not in the pictures is the made2fly hackle cabinet and a 5 drawer plastic cabinet ,with tying material

I have the whole room set up for tying ,plus a computer on another desk ,I will post other pictures later

I have a foldtop desk, surrounded by bunches of rubbermaid boxes of materials in plastic bags loaded with mothballs. The desk is nice, though I never fold it up, since I'm always in the middle of tying something.

One thing I strongly advise: create a portable tying surface. I have a larger one for my desk at home, one for my cabin in Maine, and a smaller one for traveling. I strongly prefer a c-clamp to a standing vise to allow height adjustment wherever I go. With a bad back, I am acutely sensitive to the height of my tying vise. Both my home and travel surfaces are made from leftover countertop pieces, which resist permanent glues. The base for the one at my cabin is just a cheap piece of pine. The larger home surface goes on my foldtop desk, so I don't ruin the wood with glues/glued hair/materials, etc. The smaller one keeps me from ruining table surfaces when I travel. I lucked into some maple flooring strips which look pretty around the perimeter, but lathe strips will work just as well and are much cheaper. My home surface is 22"x10" with 1"x1/2" strips added on top and drilled out with variously sized holes for thread bobbins, scissors, tweezers, etc. All verticle inside surfaces have glued in magnetic hook-holding strips. Underneath are two 1/2" thick lathe strips to elevate the tying surface, so it accommodates a c-clamp base. All wood strips are secured with sheetrock screws in pre-drilled holes.

When I was recuperating from knee replacement surgeries and unable to sit in a regular chair, my travel surface allowed me to put a board across the arms of my recliner and tie; something I could not have done at a regular desk. The magnetic strips prevented hook from falling onto unhappy places, since my recliner created a slant on the board supporting my tying surface.

Juunis,

That is my vise. I do not know how you got into my house and stole my vise, but unless you want me to press criminal charges against you, then I suggest you pack up my vise, that freaking awesome tying station, and ship them back to me. Otherwise I will have no option but to get the law involved.

Sincerely,

Oatka

:ripped:

:j_k:

:D

Beadhead,

I believe that frog on your foam fly holder on your desk is the reason I just purchased some round rubber leg material. I hope to tie those up soon, but I'm also hoping to get my sewing machine transformer fly tying table setup soon too.

I love mine. It's on top top of a kitchen table with a light and a magnifier. I have three Walmart storage cabinets with three draws each under the table. I also have a high boy cabinet full of tying stuff. I tie on a Rnzetti vice, I have had this vice for over thirty years

I spent about three hours a day tying when it's raining or snowing outside. Not only do I keep my fly box full but it's great therapy for me. I tried to upload a picture of it but it did/t work so I may have to wait for my daughter to upload it for me. :yahoo:

Many years ago, I built a portable table that can be moved around, now I have it sitting on an old computer desk with a nice 4 drawer cabinet close by, works fine for me.

Pat Carroll

this is a long ways off, but in about the next 6mo or so, a friend of ours is gonna be moving out of a huge 4bd, 3bath cabin just outside the south side of town. The good news is it has a loft that spans half the front room.....ITS HUGE :headbang: And seeing as how the girlfriend loves me sooo much I get to use it for the new fly tying room when we move in. The rest of the cabin is pretty awsome too. Soon as we can get everything taken care of, and get our friends home built we can move in. will send pics asap guys.

I like my portable drop leaf table for the time being.

post-3453-1163304991_thumb.jpg

However, I am planning to build a larger kidney shaped portable table with front slide out tying area and rear drop leaf this summer. I think will always want a tying table in the front room; there's just something about tying before a crackling fire that I really enjoy.

post-3453-1163304631_thumb.jpg

I was using the computer desk as my table until wife got mad about not being able to use computer :angry:

So one day at the flee market found small 2 draw kids desk and I love it. A few holes for tools and dow rod for thread I'm ready. Now two of my kids are out of house using the spare room as tying area. Also have the computer there to keep up on things while tying.

Alot of great set-ups! Its neat to see the differant approaches to organizing, the differances between big and little, neat and messy.

I bought a roll top deck at a yard sale but ended up giving to the oldest daughter for her room. I use a kitchen table in the basement and its ok.