Fly Tying
chrisfish

Deer Hair Swap

I think I know what I am going to tie. A Goddard Caddis By Skip Morris. All I need to do is go get some deer body hair and the right hooks. I just hope I don't muck it up. :dunno:

I feel pretty inadequate with deer hair myself guys. The mice I tie are okay but certainly not up to what we are seeing here. Still the swaps that make us work harder make us better tyers, so hang in there! I for one will enjoy everything that comes in the swap flies. :)

If it is any help, there are two things I can suggest that may help. Don't use too big a bunch of hair, try bunches about the thickness of a pencil. The other thing that helps is making sure they are packed tightly and use heavy thread as well. :)

Got bruce's flies today :bugeyes: what a great job!!!

those are great bruce. my daughters were even impressed. and thats sayin something

very nice flies,

chris

hey everybody. Santa sent me a direct order. :angry: All swappers are to take a break from trimming deer hair and speading it all over the house. Also stop pretending to try and get some of the scraps in the garbage while realy just letting most of it fall where it may. This is a direct order from the big man himself. we are to try and enjoy the next few days with our families and/or friends. It also strongly suggests that we drink some extra eggnogg. :cheers: I'll be busy workin (packin the sleigh, feedin the reindeer,, you know.... The Grind) but you fella's are gonna have to take it easy. merry chirstmas and happy holidays. see you in 07 :D

chris

I thought I would try some different deer hair as the stuff I was using was just not doing it for me. I am using northern mule deer now and getting better results, so the work goes on. I have to actually go to work for a few days, but I think they will be in the mail next week. I'll post a pic when I get done....Kerry

I finally have some flies tied up for the deer hair swap. It turns out that they were harder to tie than I thought. Trying to tie 3 bunches of deer hair on a size #8 hook and still leaving room for a dry fly hackle proved to be pretty tough. They aren't as good as I would like, but they are the best I could do. Anyway, hopefully you guys can look at it & figure out how it's SUPPOSED to look and then tie up some good ones to fish with. It's a pattern that I found in a book about fly fishing for panfish. It is supposed to resemble a bumblebee. "Bumble McDougal." I wanted to tie some up for bluegills, but I think it would also be a good pattern for smallmouth, if it were tied up good.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you guys come up with.

Take care,

BB