Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

I can sew!

I can sew :lol: My daughter has shown a lot of interest in sewing up her own clothes and stuff the past year so we got her a sewing machine for X-mas this year. Well so far she's made a purse, a pillow and last night she and I made a tote bag for her to use for her books at school. I figured if she was gonna get into this I may as well support her 100% and learn to do it too. It's actually kinda fun. Now I am gonna start working on how to make a fly rod case that will be set up so I can hand sew it into the roof of my car to save space on road trips B) I also found a pattern to make a fishing vest, so now I can make a vest with pockets big enough for my bugger barns :lol:

I will only adimit this here. My mom taught me to sew when I was about 10. Even my wife doesn't know I know how to sew. I can just imagine the ramifications if she ever found out. I can see her shopping for sewing machines within 10 minutes of her finding out. :(

I do not admit nor deny the fact that there could be a very strong yet undisclosed posibility that I could maybe perhaps when no one is looking and its a day starting with an S on the 3rd week of a month know how to.......sew :unsure: shhhhhhhhh!

There is no shame in being self sufficient, I, not only sew quite well, but I can meet production demands on several types of machines. I was a sewing machine mechanic for a Men's Suit Manufacturer and had to be able to train the operators on the different types of machines that we had and they were always changing with the technology. I actually taught my wife to sew. I am quite proud of the fact that there is not a sewing machine I can't operate from straight stitch machines to multi needle sergers. I can set up a michine to sew silk and the next day leather. There is actually a sewing machine that creates the very same overhand whip that we use in our tying, it is for sewing on standing shank buttons and garment hooks like those used on bras. I worked in this industry 25 years ago and with the exception of the computerization of many manual operations, very little has changed in this industry since the early 1900's. This is one of those situations where where isn't much need for improvement on something that works. I will the first to say though, the conditions that some of these people work in are very bad and that could change, but there again it has been this way for over 100 years and not much has happened there either.

Mom taught me how to sew. I taught myself to embroider so that I could put my name and number on my high-school basketball practice trunks. My grandmother taught me to crochet.

Other than sewing on the occasional button, I haven't done any of those things for nigh onto 35 years...

John

I have tought my self to sew also. Upholstering antuiques was the driving factor. I have sewn (sp?) hunting vests, layout blinds for duck hunting and dresses for my daughter, and even a 730 piece quilt. Its a machine! It has to be for men!--Right :dunno: I have to starch everything stiff as a board first--That way I feel its a little more like wood working. :dunno:

Duckydoty