Fly Tying
purolohi kalastaja

First attempts at spinning and stacking deer hair

Well, here are the first two flies I've tried to tie using deer hair (other than a muddler or a zoo cougar). My four year old son has already told me what HE thinks I did wrong, so give it to me. I can take it. :crying:

The frog was made with green deer hair, olive chenillefor the legs, and large mono eyes. The mouse used natural deer hair, large mono eyes, black bucktail for whiskers, and a piece of left over zonker strip with the fur removed for the tail.

Suggestions?

post-10599-1186354945_thumb.jpg

post-10599-1186355786_thumb.jpg

For whatever reason it posted once with the photos (this one) and once without. Ignore the one without the photos, please, until I can figure out how to remove it or end it.

nice looking flies. thay should catch some fish. the only thing i might see wrong with them is thay might need to be trim a little more. but im no deer hair expert. just my 2 cents

those will catch bass for sure. the mouse looks just like one I missed with my pellet gun in the back yard today.

the hair on the mouse looks like it could of been packed tighter and both could be trimmed a bit more and with a razor instead of just sissors but both are excellent attempts and will catch fish

They were packed using only my fingers. Is it really worth it to get a packing tool of some sort? If so, which type works better?

When using a razor, do you just slice the hair away, or is there some trick to it?

Nice work I sure that you will find a spot on the wall for these. And tie up some more for the lake!!! Or maybe Brush Creek! Im sure the 3 and 4 lb brookies will love a fat mousie!!!!

IMHO a packing tool is essential you will get a much tighter body.

I use one of the brass ones you just pinch the hook with and push.

You can also use the barrel from a ballpoint pen. Just slip the small

end over the hook and push the deer hair back.

As far as the razor blade again you do need it to get a really smooth body.

Get a double edged one the single edged are NOT sharp enough. Cut it in

half this gives you two blades with just a single cutting edge each. It is

very flexible which helps a lot with curved shapes especially. Just hold the ends

between your thumb and fore finger and squeeze it will bend into an arc that

is very easy to work with.

This should make spinning deer hair easier and a lot more fun.

tight lines and heavy creels

-Tom

ive found that the double edged razors are very VERY hard to come by. if someone could tell me exactly where to get them then that would be great. but ive found razors that work just as great. i got them at foodlion but you can get them anywhere. they are located in the shavind dept. at foodlion but ive' seen them in hardware dept.'s too. anyway, they are a one sided razor, but its a rectangle, not a trapezoid like the utility knife kind. its got a metal cover over the back end of it, and a very sharp blade on the other side. ive found them to be extremely sharp and very good for deer hair. they last about 3 flies though....if you do smaller flies they will last longer.

about the packing...a packing tool is not essential but would be helpful. what i do is i pack from both ends. i put my fingers from my left hand at the back and my right hand in the front and just give it all ive got to compact it. it works very nicely

a tight packed body, and a smooth razor trim will make much better flies.

but you flies are very impressive for a beginner and will catch bass no doubt.

Not bad first attempts, Too Bad you missed the two classes on spinning and stacking on the virtual forumlast week. Get a" Brassie" packer from Chris Helms at white tail fly tying. Tighter packing and better trimming are the key

This is what we tied

post-4571-1186432175_thumb.jpg

Double edge blades can be very hard to find. I get mine at

Walgreens. I have herd that Wal Mart also carries them but

I can't confirm that first hand.

Tom

Sally's Beauty Supply sells the double edged blades. Also industrial strength hair bleach that will turn almost any fur blonde. Great for dyeing dark fur lighter colors.

personally, i don't have that much luck with deer hair, so i just stick to leaches :)