Fly Tying
3FL2

Serendipity

The Serendipity has been one of the flies that I have heard so much about. I have heard it to be the only fly you need to catch trout year round. The problem is that I haven't seen it, I have no idea what it looks like. Does anyone know what it looks like or has anyone used it? And How easy is it to tie? If this fly is as good as everyone says I would love to learn how to tie it!! Thanks

Great. I will google it i wanted to get your feedback first, Also Do they make a dry pattern similar to the serendipity?

When people ask me how I got started tying, I credit two main resources, that really got me kick started. Al Campbell's series at FAOL, and Fly Tying: The Angler's Art shows available online. Nothing like actually seeing someone demonstrate a new technique. Hope you enjoy them.

There are lots of variations of this fly, so many that there really isn't a wrong way to tie it. For the standard version, some guys clip the deer head/wing. Others apparently don't feel it's worth the bother and just put a clipped "wing" of deer at the head. And I've seen other materials used in lieu of deer hair for the wing.

To facilitate getting the fly beneath the surface, you can also add a bead. This first fly uses the standard twisted z-lon serendipity body with a bead and an Australian Opossum collar.

BH Serendipity

This is an example of the $3 Dip. Again, the head can be thickly tied (like this one), or you might just want a thin clump of deer mounted behind the bead.

$3 Dip

You can get rather creative with this pattern type inregards to body materials and colors, too.

This pattern was developed as an emerger, as such, it was fished just below the surface. During or just prior to hatches, it is quite effective. Tied with different color zlon for the body, it can match many different emerging bugs. Most times it was fished as a dropper behind a dry fly. It wouldn't be among my top 10 deep patterns.

Tied with a slightly larger wing, and greased with floatant, it can be fished right on the surface, but I wouldn't call this a dry fly. Floating nymphs and emergers fished in the surface film would be better fall into a damp fly group, but not the traditional dry fly category.