Fly Tying
Eric Brown

Coming back to fly tying while deployed

Eric...remember that tying club that you have not started yet over there.....you might be before you know it.

Mike :D

Gang,

I'm lucky enough to work at a fly shop, I have access to most anything at very resonable prices. I've been talking to the guys at the shop and we would love to help out. From reading the other post, It looks as if Chenille and beads are still needed. Is there any other material or tools that you are not able to get? I will gather any shopping list you can give and we will contribute everything we can. We will send our package out on Monday.

Thanks

Nate

Hello, I use to tie flies with my father when I was a lot younger. Its been over 15 years since I have touched anything related to tying flies but I am looking to get back into it. What I am looking for is any recomendations on inexpensive tools and materials that I could have shipped to Afghanistan. I am on a very small base and so I don't have access to any of the fly tying clubs that some times meet on larger bases. I am just looking to get started here and give myself something to do in my down time. Just looking for a few recomendations and some advice. Thanks

Eric

First....Thank you for your service!

Next...my son was injured by a shaped charge IED Dec. 22, 2006 and is still healing and has a great attitude, but his unit wanted him back and he wanted to get back with them, but it's not a option at this point because of the extent of his injuries. He joined after 9/11 & got his Green Beret at 37 so he is disappointed he didn't get to complete his service with that unit.

OK, now on the fly tying. I am a crappie jig tier and learning to tie flies now too and if I can help with anything please let me know, but it looks like a bunch of fine guys have already got you some stuff coming to you.

I do have some extra cheap, but they work, Stainless scissors I could send. Had a guy order with me and that one didn't pay or get back to get his scissors. I have about 3 pair if you need any. When I say cheap I mean the work, but they only cost me $1.50 each so it's no big deal to send you them if you want or need any. I don't have any other extra tools, but I have a lot of materials, chenille and other stuff if you need any of that. Like I said my business is crappie jigs so I have a load of chenille. I also have a lot of duck feathers that are not sorted or anything, but I could send some if that would help.

Anyway keep your head on a swivel and stay safe!

Skip

As always thanks everybody for all of this, it really is a bit humbling.

Anyway I have been looking at the posts and, as Mike said, with everything coming I may be able to start a club. That said, it probably won't be on my base. Once stuff starts arriving I'll sort it out and start contacting the other fly fishermen I know of on the other FOBs in our AO and see if there is interest. I'll let you know where the stuff is going and who is getting it as I send it out. If we get to the point where one of the larger bases get a pretty good sized club going we can start redirecting stuff there. Thanks again all, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas to come.

Tight Lines!

Eric

I'll be sending out an envelope with a few things in it. Not alot because I'm fairly new but I have extras I could do without. I'll send some popper bodies that you can prbably make use of with the whiting variety pack. BTW do you have a wife named Amanda and a son named Eric? just curious because my old S.S. teacher (Amanda Brown) has a husband stationed over there.

Here's a list of the goodies I'm sending.

Mustad 3366 hooks in size 4 and 2/0

Mallard flank dyed to look like wood duck

Gray squirrel tail

Golden pheasant tippets

A few popper heads already glued to the hook

White poly yarn

A few feet of pink chenille

Brown size 12 Metz packaged dry fly hackle

Some yellow round rubber legs

A small piece of natural elk hair

Blue dun antron/hare blend

Brand new pack of black marabou

2 pheasant tails

Most of this stuff is new. Some of it I used a little bit of and some of it is a portion I took off of some of my materials. Should be a little help.

Eric,

Im glad to hear you will have some other tyers to share with. I'll be putting a box in the mail on Monday. We ask the customers at the shop if they would like help out. WOW, the response has been outstanding. We have Tools, materials, thread, wire, vise ,hooks. DVD's. I think there might even be a nice cape or two in there. You should have plenty to share.

Thank you for your service to our country.

Nate

Eric, forty years ago I recieved seven packages the day before we left the wire for an search and destroy that was going to last 30 days. I gave away what I couldn't hump and everyone in my platoon ate pretty good for a few days. I buried a bottle of vodka. After 45 days we came back in and for the life of me I could not find where I buried that booze. I must have dug a dozen holes looking for it. It is probably still there.

Tying flys will help keep you connected with the " world"

I will put together a care package for you.

Semper Fi,

Eric-Keep safe over their!

Let me see what I can round up for you.I will send mine out a little bit later.I know how us military guys love getting mail!

Afghanistan-is that the Anbar prov.?Cant remember.What is your MOS?Well take it easy and keep in touch with us!Show us some pics of the flies you and your brothers in arms tie!

Steven Bell

RSS Columbus

Atlantic Div

USMC-0311

PS-I live in Columbus,GA right now.You ever get stationed at FT.Benning?

I realize sound like a broken record but... Thank you all again. Stuff has already started arriving, I recieved two envelopes yesterday and a box all filled with materials. Its defiantley awesome getting packages period and even better when they are filled with fly tying stuff.

I'll keep everyone updated as things arrive and if you have specific questions about your packages please just PM me and I'll let you know if they arrived if I can.

Tight Lines!

Eric

Hey All,

Alright. Stuff has continued to arrive. A box from Alex got here today (Thanks Flykid!) and a package from Fly Fisherman Magazine (Their tying insert and Fly Fishig Tactics; multiple copies each for the club when it gets going). Anyway, I have a request, it should be fairly simple. Can you all either PM me or post the dates that packages were sent out and from where. I have had four or five packages that have either been waylaid or lost enroute. It generally turns out to be the better packages (I'm pretty sure my gear from patagonia has dissapeared) and so I am starting to get a little worried about some of these packages getting misplaced. With a date and origin I can estimate when the stuff should be here, giving it about a week leeway should mean it has had plenty of time to get here if its going too. I'll keep posting as stuff arrives; if you get nervous don't hesitate to ask if I have seen it, I may forget to post something.

Anyway, I just want to start keeping track as you all have gone out of your way to send us stuff and I'd hate for something to get lost. Once again thanks all, I'm getting pretty pumped.

Oh and since some people have asked: I am stationed in Farah, Afghanistan. We are pretty close to the Eastern Iranian Border. I am an Armor officer, I have been trained on the M1A1 Abrams MBT but have yet to deploy with a tank. My first tour was in Baghdad during OIF II with the 1st Cavalry Division. I am functioning as a Infantry Company mentor for an Afghan Infantry Company. Home right now is just outside Ft Hood, TX. I have family in TX, CO, OH, and TN, with most of my fishing done in CO and TX. Anyway that about covers it...

Tight Lines,

Eric

Eric, Thanks pal, I did 24 myself and am retired now. I was stationed on 5 ships and always had fly tying equipment and supplies aboard for tying and instructing. This held through the private sector and I always had a kit in my desk at work as well. It is an avocation that has stood by me for almost 60 years now and have found nothing to compare to the entire fly tying/fishing realm. Drop me an email or reply and I'd be glad to give you a lot of pointers on how to go about customizing your tying equipment and materials. I know you are limited on space so that has to be a consideration. Tight lines buddy and would love to drown a fly with you some day. God bless all of you there and stay safe for us. Gunner Donn

I am just coming across this post now. I really enjoyed reading all the responses and it really warms my heart to know how many great generous people are frequenting this forum on a daily basis. You guys are really the best.

Eric, I do hope you get enough guys interested in joining a club with you, I bet it would be great for moral and for sure some good laughs and good times during your down time. Stay safe and thank you!

Damian

Hey Eric:

You have the Fly Tying Forum's support in many ways. I served in Vietnam in 1970( Marines) and can share with you whenever you want. And it doesn't have to be about fly tying or fishing.

Dave Gotzmer

Eric, I will be posting a care pkg tomorrow Oct 8. While I was getting the items together something pretty nice happened. I called J Stockard and ordered some stuff to send and I also got a gift cert. figuring you will soon know if you need to order anything that gets left out. I also told the folks at Stockard what I was doing and how you wanted to start tying. When I recieved Stockard's package I found that they included an extra gift cert for me to send you. Good Stuff. In your care pkg is also some music to tie by, I hope you like rock and roll. Included is Dereck and the Dominos Live at the Fillmore East, 1970 and John Mayhall Back to the Roots 1990, Clapton plays on both.

Semper Fi,

Grunt

1st Plt Alpha Co 1st Bn 9th Marines

The Walking Dead

Vietnam 1967