Fly Tying
stevemcn

Light on Sale at Home Depot

Just read the weekly Home Depot flyer in my thursday morning paper. "Hampton Bay 27-Watt Sunlight Desk Lamp $17.77." Looks like a good eal on an acceptable tying light, "full spectrum buld included." Not a great photo, but it sure looks like the bulb is identical to what's in some much more expensive lamps, for which replacements cost as much as this whole lamp. I think I'll go buy one, for that price it's low risk.

I bought one of these about 1 year ago. Use it as a desk lamp (use an Ott for tying). But should work very well for tying. High enough so it doesn't get in the way. I'd recommend it.

I have this light also a good buy for the money lots of light!!! My only issue with any light is if I can see the sorce/blub I get a headache So I have to keep it high and out of sight.

I have two of these. One for home and one for work.(Yes, they let me tie at work. They pay me so little, it's the least they could do!) I've never used a 'real' tying light like an Ottlight, so I can't really say how it compares but, for the price, it does a good job. And as long as I don't know what I'm missing, I'm cool.

Day5 I have the same problem with my light and have cured that by wearing a hat when ever I tie, which really isn't anything new since i wear a hat most of the time anyhow I just make sure if I am tying that I keep my hat on even when i sit at the bench in my undies and tie I have my hat on and the wife thinks it's the funniest thing that when I get up and come to bed my legs sparkle and I am wearing boxers and a baseball hat... :huh: :sick: ... got that mental picture yet!!!!!

The mental( emphahsis on mental!) picture I got was Dr Steve P, psychiatrist telling me to sprinkle flashabou bits on my legs before trying to.....

seriously, that light looks like a great deal, I think that price might even beat what I paid for a similar lamp at Ocean State Job Lot a while ago.

Thanks for telling us about it.

I have this light, too. Any of you guys have trouble with the tension on the arm? If I have the light high and out of the way (Almost vertical) it's fine, but it I try and bring the light lower it just drops all the way down. Like the arm can't hold the weight of the light.

Maybe I just got a bad one? Maybe I should just go get a second one and use this one for fly photgraphy! (These are good for that, too.)

I have this light, too. Any of you guys have trouble with the tension on the arm? If I have the light high and out of the way (Almost vertical) it's fine, but it I try and bring the light lower it just drops all the way down. Like the arm can't hold the weight of the light.

Maybe I just got a bad one? Maybe I should just go get a second one and use this one for fly photgraphy! (These are good for that, too.)

Bent, I got one that seems to have the same problem. I used a quarter to tighten up the screw at the elbow joint. It works ok, but adjusting the hieght too much loosens it up gradually. Guess for the low price, I can live with the inconvenience.

Steve

I have this light also a good buy for the money lots of light!!! My only issue with any light is if I can see the sorce/blub I get a headache So I have to keep it high and out of sight.

I have the same problem. I end up lowering the light so that it is almost below my eyes, with just enough room between the light and my vise to be able to tie. I tie standing up so my head is a little higher than when i am sitting.

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

I did try that, but mine won't tighten any more. Maybe I did just get a bad one. It's nothing too major, but I still might go pick up another one at this price. I need more lighting for pics, anyway.

I have had one for two years. No problems. I was concerned at first since a replacement bulb is about $14 if I recall correctly. But 2 years later I am on the same bulb.

I don't use it for macro photography but it is an excellent value of lumens per dollar for fly tying.