Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mswaterfowler

what is your personal record bluegill?

My best so far has been 10 inches. I picked up a half dozen one day. They looked like they'd been punched out of the same mold. They all measured 10 inches long and they were all around 7 inches from belly to back.

I've never weighed my bluegills but I did take a picture of one once and the picture weighed 4 lbs, if that tells you anything :dunno:

this is one of those "Y'all ain't gonna believe this" stories- when I was a kid around 12 or so, I used to fish the bottom end of a local trout stream, within maybe a half mile of where it flowed into a much bigger creek. It was a stocked stream, but in the lower part we used to also catch a few smallmouths, rock bass, suckers, general northeast BS, especially under one bridge where there was a fairly big, deep, flat section. Anyhow, one afternoon I cruised down there on my bike and had what looked like a BIG rock bass follow my spinner. I put on a small jig and instantly hooked a really big bluegill. I'd only ever caught bluegills in ponds and lakes, and maybe seven inches was big. This one was 11 inches, I always used to carry a Zebco "De-Liar" with a tape and cheezy scale on it. Next cast, another one. Next cast, another one. Next cast, a BIGGER one. I caught about 6 of them and the biggest was 13 inches. I don't know what it would have weighed. I was kind of stunned. I jumped back on the bike and spun home to get my Dad, because I knew he wouldn't believe it if he didn't see it. That evening he came back there with me and we caught a bunch more. I don't think any of them were less than 8 inches, up to the 13 inch I caught earlier. many of them were a foot long. We released them all. Before long, a few other folks noticed and over the next month or two they got fewer and fewer, although through the summer there was always a couple hanging around that hole. Nobody could figure out why they just all of a sudden showed up there, and why they were so big. They had to have come up from the larger creek, but this was above a couple pretty good riffles, and neither my Dad, brother, or I ever caught bluegills in the big creek. Maybe aliens dropped them under the bridge, I don't know, but it sure was interesting. And that was it. The rest of the years I lived there, they never came back.

About 15 years ago I was fishing on Lake St. Clare's Wallpole Island Indian Reservation (Michigan/Canada Border). My friend and I had to push pole our boats back into a small bay. We ran into the biggest Bluegills that I have ever seen. They were in about 3 to 4 feet of water and we started catching them with ultra lite rods but switched to fly rods and just wore ourselves out catching those big gills. We used chenille spiders. We didn't measure or weigh them but they were really big. We came back the next week and they were nowhere to be found. :dunno:

There is a watershed about 45 minutes from my house up on the Mesa and it holds LMB and Bluegills. The LMB's all average about 10" to 16" but the BG get absolutely huge up there.

I have caught my fair share of 12" BG's and have also been with others that have nailed 13" to 14". It's all C&R there so there is always the chance of nailing a big one.

Largest caught to date for me in NC was 12in to the tee and around the pound and 1/2 mark guessing. Have caught several 10 1/2 to 11in range that were a pound or alittle over but didn't have a scale for this one. I attached a pic I took with my phone, note the poor quality. Caught 11/4/07 on a black and white stealth bomber. Got to love those warm fall days....

post-10560-1203955422_thumb.jpg

You should post this on Talk Fly Fishing to get the most responses. I didn't tape my biggest, but they came from a former pay lake that had been closed for years. They were bruisers! I have a spot where 8-9 inch fish are the norm and the fish I got out of that pay lake would've taken their lunch money for sure!

The biggest to date was almost 14 inches although I have a stocked 2 acre pond in my back yard and have stocked it with F1 hybrids the hatchery said would surpass the 2lb mark.I have a 1 lb 13oz. red ear if you would like to see a picture .let me know and I'll post it tonight when I get off work.

My recently deceased father and I were throwing spiders at pre spawn blue gills in lake here in northern Michigan known to have a few nice blue gills in it. I nailed a big male that went 12 inches and weighed a pound four ounces, (what a battle)!! I believe you probably could have grown 3 big whitetail bucks in the time it took to grow that one up here. I still have the fillet knife I won for it in a contest at our Polish hall.

Rog

I've never weighed my bluegills but I did take a picture of one once and the picture weighed 4 lbs, if that tells you anything :dunno:

Thats nothin! :hyst: