Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wulff

Hawking with a Red Tail...mild gore warning

Met up with my Falconer friend Sunday. As a treat to my wife I took both our daughters with me. My wife was estatic having an empty house on Mothers day morning and my youngest (10) was thrilled to finally see the birds.

This is Artemis and my daughter getting to hold her. I've shown a number of pics of Arty here in the past.

IPB Image

A portrait at f2.8

IPB Image

a 100% crop. I love their facials. Need to try this with my 400mm

IPB Image

On to the hunt. My friend is in the process of "rehabing" a 4yr old Red Tail/Harlans mix, who has been neglected for the past year or two. So the Harris Hawk (Artemis) stayed home while she flew the Red Tail (Apache).

We got to the field at about 7:30am. We were done at 7:45.We weren't 10 yards into the field when the Red Tail spotted a Rabbit and the chase was on. It lasted all of about 10 seconds. Unlike the Harris who will pull up short when a Rabbit gets into brush, RTs will prusue with a single mindedness without regard to their safety.This day was no exception, Apache gave launched from his perch, zeroed in and crashed into some heavy cover after it. As quick as it started it was done. I was disspaointed as I didnt even manage a single flight shot before the day was done but the ensuing time watching the RTs behavior was cool and enthralling for my girls...they even liked the Rabbits screams (breif that they were).

Apache refusing to let go. Good Hawks get one claw in the skull and one in the abdomen. Red Tails have the strength to peirce a Rabbits skull apparently.

IPB Image

Enjoying and protecting a well earned meal.

IPB Image

Disembowling the Rabbit and discarding the entrails. They are effecient at cleaning their prey.

IPB Image

Unfortunately not much more to show other than lots of similiar shots (Apache eating). Hopefully I'll get out with her again soon and Apache will get the excercise he needs. It was like limiting out on the first cast of the day.

AWESOME photos....as always.

So, this is a great idea. Since you can't legally tie with those birds, use them to get your dubbing! :D

Nice job John..Great to get the girls out too with the bonus of giving mom a break..

As always with your hawk pictures, they are stunning, this time even more so with being able to see the hawks reward at the end of a day. Nice work!

Ashby