Fly Tying

:unsure: Looking at the Nor-Vise as my new vise. Have a Regal rotary about 15yrs. old not really a true rotary vise. Need input from anyone who ownes/used a Nor-Vise any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all Dying to Fish

Hey, PM wickedcarpenter, he had a norvise and he can tell you all about it.

Hey, if you PM wickedcarpenter, make sure he posts his reply here.....I'd get a kick out of reading it!

:devil:

Had a Regal, had a renzetti, had a no name, started with a model A, and now I have a norvise and wouldn't use any other vise. It's a different paradigm and you need to get used to the bobbin, but once you've gotten through the learning curve it won't be easy to give up. You can do anything that you can on any other rotary vise, plus it spins giving you the ability to do things that no other vise does.

I don't know of any other vise, that if you call the phone number, the designer, engineer, chief mechanic, and all around great guy picks up the phone.

When I first saw Norm at the shows back in the early 90's I thought he was the "ginsu knife" guy of vises, it just looked to smooth and slick to be real. From personal experience, you can tie everything from a 24 to a 9/0 on the vise.

I don't know of any other vise, that if you call the phone number, the designer, engineer, chief mechanic, and all around great guy picks up the phone.

I do, Lawrence Waldron, but you don't need to call him because his vise doesn't have any problems. You can also call up any other high end vise manufacturer and get service and advice.

I tied on a N-V for over two years and all it did was drive me nuts. It has to be mounted on something large and bulky, so it isn't very transportable. If you get all of the accessories (it doesn't come fully equipped), your investment will be on the far side of $600. Mine wasn't machined to a very high tolerance so there was a lot of slop and movement when you don't want any. The jaws are bulky and over time wouldn't hold a hook. I could go on but I'll let Brent pick up on anything I left out.

When I first saw Norm at the shows back in the early 90's I thought he was the "ginsu knife" guy of vises, it just looked to smooth and slick to be real.

he still is and he makes a slick wooly bugger!

but to each his own!

If You look really close at a Nor-Vise chances are you'll find a corn kernel somewhere.

I know the vise is crap. I gave mine away.

If your gonna spend $300 get a Dyna King.

If You look really close at a Nor-Vise chances are you'll find a corn kernel somewhere.

THAT'S IT?????? :dunno:

I opened this thread just to read what Brent would have to say in his eloquent way.

:ripped:

S.

Hey, PM wickedcarpenter, he had a norvise and he can tell you all about it.

Isnt Brent offering 30.00$ cash for people not to buy a norvise?

Word! Corn!!

THAT'S IT?????? :dunno:

I opened this thread just to read what Brent would have to say in his eloquent way.

:ripped:

S.

No doubt! Now if norlander was running for prez Brent would have more to say!

Now if you regal is only 15 years old you have 15 more years to get out of it and believe me I went form true rotary to a HMH True rotary is overrated BIG TIME!!!

I have been using the Nor-Vise for several months now and still not sure if the deal i got on eBay was worth it. I have been using the auto bobbin for years with-out even knowing it was a nor-vise product...it was given to me after a local tier died and no-one knew what it was. I LOVE the bobbin, except when dubbing, but find that i am not real impressed with the vise.

I find my-self still pulling out my old fixed head Regal more often. the round jaws don't let you get to smaller hooks well and the cheesy way of tightening is a pain...every hook is a little bit different so you have to adjust the screw to use the lever despite what any-one says. I don't think it's right to pay another $100 or so to get the smaller jaws that turn it into the same thing as other vises costing around $100 or so??? I am totally new to rotary tying but find there are several techniques that can be done with it that are neat but are they worth it??? I still haven't decided.

I think it would be wiser to look at other rotary vises but i don't have close access to many types my-self and can't judge something i haven't tried...but i think that there are probably better choices.

But i can highly recomend a bobbin set from them...It really grows on you when you get used to it.

CORN! :blink: When did I eat corn? :blink:

Oh no he didnt! :huh:

Well lots of negatives here. I have tied since the early 60's and have accumulated a few vices. All of which have been mentioned here. Tied on a renzetti for years and love it. It now resides in my traveling kit. I own a Nor-vice for about 4 years and love it. I love the idea of a permanent mount. Makes it super stable. The bobbin is a prime little device also.

Much of the opinion here reminds me of cars guys who say my brand is best no other will work. Lots of great vices out there now a days. Fact is we're all individuals. What works for one may not for another. My suggestion would be to do some hands on research. find a good fly shop that stocks a number of brands and try em out. Decide for yourself. You could also visit or join your local fly tying club adn have the opportunity to see tiers on many brands and get some hands on. You do not have to limit yourself to one vice.