Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Cole

Best Razor Blades for Deer Hair?

I use the single edge type. They are a little safer to handle. When they get a little dull I put the edge back on with a steel or ceramic rod. Works for me.

for me, ditto what RRS said......you can wrap a little duct tape around the edges so you don't get cut and the biggest advantage is you can flex it to the shape/taper you want as you cut

mike

Sharp ones, I use the paint scraper single edged ones from Home depot, they come in 100 packs. I like the reinforcement to keep a straight edge. Not as cheap though as the dollar store.

Cheers, Futzer.

The single edge blade doesn't hold a candle to the double edge, not as sharp and not flexible. Double Edge Platinum Chrome Blades are the best. Take it from a guy who ties ALOT of Bugs, go with doubles. Some guys fold them in half until they snap , then you have 2 singles with tremendous flexiblity :headbang:

stone fly hair cutter

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...&hasJS=true

this is the spiffiest tool out there

the double edge are defiantly the best, the singles are just utility knife blades.

this tool is just tops tops

well worth the ten bucks

I don't mean to endorse the company who's website is linked, I just happened to know they caried it

good luck

Pauly

+1 double edge shaving blades. Fold in half until both ends snap, and you have two blades, and you don't cut yourself on the back edge. Completely flexible from a gentle curve to a tight half-circle or more. I can usually trim two or three hair bugs before the blade gets too dull to easily slice through the hair. The Stone-Fly tool looks interesting, but does it let you change the curve of the blade?

no, the curve is set,

it's not the best for everything, but it's pretty darned good for most things,

and as mentioned there is no way to cut yourself with the back side

I find that the curve is a very useful radius, soembody put more thought than usual into this one

Pauly

If you have never used a double edged blade,you have no idea how much you've been handicapping yourself!! They are 10X sharper than sinigle edge blades! The little tool mentioned in the above posts is handy,although I've found that I still need a "straight" blade on hand,to make the intial flat cut on the bottom of the bug. The tool is also a little bit dodgy to get a blade mounted in!

Jack