Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
twohearted

Eating Crow

I have a startling and yes humble confession to make. This thread - at first blush - may appear to be fuel for the "Best Vise" battle but it is actually quite the contrary.

First off, I tie exclusively with Dyna King on my desk. This was a matter of disposable income as I was like some, a novice with more money than I deserved. I bought my wife and I each a DK - (1) Cuda Jr. and (1) Voyager II - and to this day I still dream of both of them (the vises) on occasion. Sometimes my wife makes a cameo (Another thread on a different site). I have tied on both of these vises for nearly ten years and just bought my first set of jaws. Kudos DK, your product is exemplary in my eyes.

Recently a friend of mine was accepted to Med School and I chose not to attend holding out for something more suitable. I offered him a means to find center, as I have done over the years when bogged down with school work and little time to hit the water. "Just tie a fly brother, sometimes it's the most you can do." So I bought him a lot of tying stuff off eBay that included an old Renzetti traveller (knob rather than cam lock). He was grateful.

Coming Clean - I have been known to speak my mind in the past, mostly out of turn. So here it comes! Ready? That little Renzetti vise can hold a hook! And it does it real well with very little effort. And guess what? So can Day5's HMH! and PK's Danvise. Everyday I am exposed to new vises. In truth the new stuff is getting good and the prices make it real hard to turn a shoulder (need I mention the tight economy). I still love the feel of a Dyna King. They are just built so well. I have never had buyers remorse after buying my two vises. But, if I come into another deal like the one above with the Zetti. It is mine, and I will be happy with it. Likewise with the HMH and a few others.

In short. Buy what you can afford and be happy with what you get. And, never ever knock another man's vise it's worse than talkin' bad about his Mama.

Tight lines and dry waders!

Rob (Two Hearted)

Nice story Rob. Let see if Matt can leave it alone or if he'll take a friendly stab at you.

Fred

Well said. An awful lot in the way of tying tools is just personal preference, or getting used to what you're using. If you look at a fly, you can't tell whether it was tied on a Law, Danville, Peak, or Sears visegrips.

I have to agree, I first bought the Renzetti and loved it. But then I went saltwter fishing and started tying larger flies so I bought a DK barracuda jr. trekker, I love it.

If you come to my house today you'll see two portable tying benches side by side with the two vises living confortably right next to each other. I still favor the renz for very small stuff and the dk for larger stuff, but the truth be told either would work just fine! Tie on brother! Eric

True story. I dont think I will ever get away from my LAW vise.

I have a startling and yes humble confession to make. This thread - at first blush - may appear to be fuel for the "Best Vise" battle but it is actually quite the contrary.

First off, I tie exclusively with Dyna King on my desk. This was a matter of disposable income as I was like some, a novice with more money than I deserved. I bought my wife and I each a DK - (1) Cuda Jr. and (1) Voyager II - and to this day I still dream of both of them (the vises) on occasion. Sometimes my wife makes a cameo (Another thread on a different site). I have tied on both of these vises for nearly ten years and just bought my first set of jaws. Kudos DK, your product is exemplary in my eyes.

Recently a friend of mine was accepted to Med School and I chose not to attend holding out for something more suitable. I offered him a means to find center, as I have done over the years when bogged down with school work and little time to hit the water. "Just tie a fly brother, sometimes it's the most you can do." So I bought him a lot of tying stuff off eBay that included an old Renzetti traveller (knob rather than cam lock). He was grateful.

Coming Clean - I have been known to speak my mind in the past, mostly out of turn. So here it comes! Ready? That little Renzetti vise can hold a hook! And it does it real well with very little effort. And guess what? So can Day5's HMH! and PK's Danvise. Everyday I am exposed to new vises. In truth the new stuff is getting good and the prices make it real hard to turn a shoulder (need I mention the tight economy). I still love the feel of a Dyna King. They are just built so well. I have never had buyers remorse after buying my two vises. But, if I come into another deal like the one above with the Zetti. It is mine, and I will be happy with it. Likewise with the HMH and a few others.

In short. Buy what you can afford and be happy with what you get. And, never ever knock another man's vise it's worse than talkin' bad about his Mama.

Tight lines and dry waders!

Rob (Two Hearted)

I just had the same thing happen. I bought and used the DK until it simply wouldn't how any hooks at the front of the jaws. I bought another vise (different brand) and was shocked at how much better it was at holding hooks. DK wasn't even close to the new vise even when it was new.

I do still use the DK for big bugs where the hooks required will set in one of the groves. Otherwise the DK is retired. My new vise is way easier to use and holds 100 times better.

True story. I dont think I will ever get away from my LAW vise.

The average tier isn't familar with a Laws vice, and then there is the current price of one! Iv'e seen them and tied on one , but its just too rich for me, oh yeah, I do tie on a masters, but I also am on the look out for one of Lawrence's if I can can it at a good price, It is one of the finest available

Nice story Rob. Let see if Matt can leave it alone or if he'll take a friendly stab at you.

Fred

LOL when you are done with the vices rob Ill hold you tight! :lol: SOOOOOO KIDDING!!!! Its all what fits your hand bro. for me the zetti is just to small to light. The danvise is to bulky the DK is sweet but the jaws spook me. The HMH Ahhhh.... love! :wub:

Most of them hold hooks very well.

FYI double A ron is out for the opener <_< :thumbsdown:

I have been tying on a pamola fly lathe for 10 years and just got the zetti master and it awesome. I've ties size 22 midges up to 1/0 saltwater flies without issue and I have really been utilizing the rotary tying. Though I was spoiled with the weight of the base on the pamola and I'm surprised that the zetti, even with the special saltwater base, is so light.

When you skin that crow to eat it, twohearted, just remember to tack the skin to a board, and borax the heck out of the back of it. Those feathers might just tie something nice. :rolleyes:

I've yet to tie on a vise that didn't have its merits. Even the $20 Cabela's cheapo holds hooks tight, though I've never tried the vise-grips trick.....

twohearted, you're right.

I'd been tying on a PEAK for a couple of years and it did very well for me with a couple small exceptions. That lead me to getting a Dyna King Barracuda Indexer for Christmas. And while "vise fever" was still in full-force, I got a great deal on an HMH Spartan vise to use for travel. I've now tied many dozen flies on the DK, a few dozen on the HMH. I like them all. Every one of them has things it does very well, or is a step above in. But each of them have their idiosyncrasies that you learn to work around. I think I will still do 90% of my tying on the DK (and I don't seem to have problems with smaller hooks), but I'm glad to have all of them.

There are bad vises out there, but you either have to go pretty cheap or get pretty far out of the mainstream to get one now.

its not so much what holds the hook as what you do with the hook once its clamped down. We have all seen stunning flies tied on cheap vises and also crappy flies off of cadillac style vises. It s a matter of what you can afford and your own preference. I use a regal and I love it, I used to watch my grandfather tie on one and that is what I wanted too. I think the coversation is a bit like looking past the painting and talking about the eisle.

I tie on a vise that I have had since 1971 and its the only one I have ever used. It was my grandfather's vise and I have no idea who the manufacturer is. If anyone knows I would be very appreciative for the info.

post-17692-1235960974_thumb.jpg

post-17692-1235960993_thumb.jpg

post-17692-1235961008_thumb.jpg

post-17692-1235961023_thumb.jpg