Fly Tying
roberts5

streamers

Last time I was in Nampa, I caught that fish, on a yellow Zoo Cougar. He told me it would be the last time he fell for a yellow streamer. So maybe not for THAT fish, but yellow Zonkers, and Zoo Cougars should do pretty well on other browns. Now my last trip to Nampa, was in the 1980s, so that particular brown trout might just be getting forgetfull enough to hit a yellow streamer once again. Hope by now you know I'm giving you some gas.

My favorite color streamers for trout are black, olive brown, white, and yellow. Different colors will work at different times, but those colors are all good. One of my favorite streamer patterns for western rivers is a Platte River Special. The pattern as I learned it and still use it is nothing more that two yellow (more golden than canary) hackles inside two brown hackles for the "wing," and then one of each hackle is wound at the front to finish the fly. There is no other body on the fly at all. Try it with a cone head or bead head in deeper or faster water.

OF course they do! Brown trout are way more carniverous than rainbow's. I like to chuck zonkers and meat whistles at em but anything in the size 6-10 3x shank range is a good bet. Tye something with alot of movement. in fact kelly Galloup is an authority on streamers for big trout here is an article he wrote about catching big trout on streamers:

Streamer fishing and big fish

To quote from "Modern Streamers and Trophy Trout" by Kelly Galloup and Bob Linsenman

Yellow is probably the most consistent producer over an extended period, but this can change quickly - very quickly. Given today's catch-and-release ethic, a fish that has been stung frequently by yellow Rattlesnakes will learn to avoid them. At least for a while.

like waving a fan, a balloon burst will move air. Moving air impacts the streamer and the streamer moves. Sound is different. This si an abrupt pulse, of short duration. Again the air moves, the streamer is impacted and moves, but only a short jerk with less energy. The energy impact is the integral under curve of energy vs time. The gust of wind is lower energy, but it persists longer giving more motion. The burst of wind is sharp, with more energy quickly, but it is short duration and he energy under curve is less. The energy from sound is less still, impacting at 700 mph, it has little duration even though it is very high energy. t5he streamer may shiver, but not move. Now, if the balloon was full of hydrogen and air mixture and you ignite it, when you set it off it is a detonation. The burst occurs at faster than the speed of sound, and the energy transmitted by even by this very short burst if huge. This is why detonations are dangerous. A detonating balloon whould likely tear the streamer in half.

Regards

Hooper

Long Island Cement | Master Spa Products | Moving to the Carolinas

yeah........I second that

what the heck was that?

not sure how a streamer in a river can be compared to an air balloon???

like waving a fan, a balloon burst will move air. Moving air impacts the streamer and the streamer moves. Sound is different. This si an abrupt pulse, of short duration. Again the air moves, the streamer is impacted and moves, but only a short jerk with less energy. The energy impact is the integral under curve of energy vs time. The gust of wind is lower energy, but it persists longer giving more motion. The burst of wind is sharp, with more energy quickly, but it is short duration and he energy under curve is less. The energy from sound is less still, impacting at 700 mph, it has little duration even though it is very high energy. t5he streamer may shiver, but not move. Now, if the balloon was full of hydrogen and air mixture and you ignite it, when you set it off it is a detonation. The burst occurs at faster than the speed of sound, and the energy transmitted by even by this very short burst if huge. This is why detonations are dangerous. A detonating balloon whould likely tear the streamer in half.

Regards

Hooper

That's freakin hillarious. :hyst:

And please send fish in picture I will test a yellow streamer on it.

Ian

In regards to Hooper's post on atmospheric movements as prescribed to the involuntary destruction of latex spherical atmosphere containment devices I hereby submit the following: In general avian coat covered hook like projectiles are as adversely affected by atmospheric influence as gaseoues sub intestinal emmanations are favorably scented. Furthermore the subatomic collisions of aqueous solutions when interupted by geological masses has thus morphed into that which can be continuosly created by said collisions and are therefore disturbingly viewed with dismay and utter repugnance by those forced to witness these occurances!!! Nuff said! Indubitably and in total concurrance with the mudshark in your mythology and thoroughly rubbed in the face of some eskimo named Nanook, I submit this for ejamcation re-review and submittal to some hitherto unnamed medical/ pharmaceutical journal for perusal and acceptance!

PS Pull my finger!

post-20807-1258519720_thumb.jpg yo! absolutely. black over yellow is always a good combination to start out with.

heres my favorite yellow and black combo-nation. its a simple tie, back hook is #2 front hook is 2/0 with 7/16'' cone.

also purple and black do work.