Fly Tying
oatka

I inherited a ton of fly tying stuff

My wife's aunt, whom she hasn't seen in 25 years sent us a HUGE box of fly tying stuff yesterday that use to belong to her husband who just died a few months ago. Through the marvel of something kids are calling the "internet" (still need to Google that to see what it's all about), my wife has been able to connect with her aunt and some how the fact that I tie flies came out. A few weeks ago she asked if I'd be interested in some of his stuff. My wife replied that I would be, and yesterday a huge box was delivered. While I've never met either her aunt or her late husband, i'm grateful for the stuff I was given and my wife is happy that it's staying in the family. She wont let me give any of it away.....except to trees and rocks.

My wife also said, that even though this came because someone died, I'm allowed to be excited about the score.

So, here's what I got.

The box was 42 pounds. Yep, that's not a typo, it was 42 pounds.

This first picture shows it all unloaded onto the couch. My kids loved pulling out everything. It's hard to see what's in there, so we'll show a few close ups next.

post-6177-1266412610_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the 2 vises she sent. One is a Renzetti and the other is a Dyna King. In the back is the Tupperware container full of marabou.

post-6177-1266412675_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of the thread holder, with 60 spools of threads, wires, tinsels, and yarns. Also shown is the hook house, with 3 boxes of hooks and one box of beads. Also shown is a chenille holder, with 2 rows loaded up. Everything in this picture was in the box, except the block of tools.

post-6177-1266413632_thumb.jpg

Here is my daughter showing off all the hackles. This is a 3 seat couch with about 2 dozen packs on it. Stuff I've always wanted but never cared to put up the $ to buy it myself.

post-6177-1266413780_thumb.jpg

And, here's a list of things that are not clearly shown in any picture:

Tons of fur - elk, deer, etc

5 packs of ostrich hurl

Dubbing - 2 dozen or so colors

6 books

1 dvd

6 packs of flash

2 hares masks

various other feathers

probably tons more that I can't think of now (i'm at "work")

I have to seriously rethink how I store and display my materials so I can easily know what I now have.

It was interesting that no bobbins or scissors were in the box. I'm not by any means complaining, just found it interesting that with such a wide range of things in the box, those items were not to be found. My wife did however tell me she said something about having another box for us. :bugeyes:

wow! talk about an early christmas :) As they say, ".. God close one door and open's another ... "

I'm sure he'd be pleased to see all his tying stuff is being put to good use, sure he'd want it that way. :)

Mike

Man that's crazy. Let me help you off with some of it, I'll IM you my address :P

It's more like a gift from heaven - I'm sure your wifes uncle is happy to see that someone will enjoy the same passion as he had. :D

I'm sure he's glad to know it stayed in the family (even though we've all never met) and that it will be put to use. I actually tied up 2 flies with it last night. Plus, my kids (4, and #5 that's due any day) will get a lot of use out of it too!

Might need to convince one of my kids to give up their bedroom!

With all that stuff, the gentleman was obviously a very serious tyer. Maybe the second box will also have a fly or two he tied. It might be a nice tribute to have a couple of his flies to put in a shadow box to hang on the wall of your tying area.

I have that Dyna-king and it's a great little vice, I bring it with me everytime I go fishing. Seems like he had a great passion for fishing and would of been a great guy to fish and tie with. Any word on what happened to the reels and rods? they may be in the next box :bugeyes: Enjoy.

I couldn't be happier for you, Mike. That stuff couldn't have gone to a better family.

Im sorry to hear about your wife's family lost, so please send my regards to your wife.

but man, i am Soo Happy For You! Congrats to all of your new fly tying stuff and to the new baby soon to come!

enjoy every feather, it must be like Christmas eve for you. i know i would be all electric :jumpy:

Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures!

Bearhug C

I couldn't be happier for you, Mike. That stuff couldn't have gone to a better family.

Thanks Alex. I hope the stuff is used for years and years to come with the million or so kids we seem to have! :bugeyes:

ChuckinFluff - Not sure. She might be keeping that because it sounds like her son might go fishing with her. Either way, i'm grateful for what i got, and hope to put it to use. probably take some in my "hospital bag" which needs to be put together sooner than later!

Guest Tony P

It looks like staying in touch with family has rewarded you nicely! Put it to some good use in honor of your wifes uncle.

Tony P