Fly Tying
Hairstacker

Deerh Hair Diver

After owning my camera for over a year and not seeing a macro selection on the menu, I assumed it didn't have one. Finally got around to opening the manual and it turns out it is a big, fat silver button right next to the zoom. :wallbash:

Well anyway, all this recent talk of spinning/stacking deer hair prompted me to start my annual spring ritual of getting ready for the topwater season. Usually takes a few to get the touch back after a year layoff but I thought this 1st one didn't turn out half bad so, with my newly discovered macro capability, I thought I'd share: :lol:

DSCF1187.jpg

Stacker-

nice looking diver bug there! It's very densely packed, and I like the color combo :thumbsup: That should be deadly on the Delta LMB - or better yet - Mr. Striper !

Curious ...do you apply glue to your diving collars? I learned how to tie stacked/spun diving bugs years ago from a video (forget it if it was Helms or Whitlock) and I have always tied mine with a slanted/tapered collar then coated it with flexament to keep it diving well. I think I like the look of that collar on your bug better and was wondering if it even needs flexament to keep diving or if the vertical orientation just softens enough to flare back and dive as it gets "soggy"?

tight lines

Bob

very nice,

what is the reason that you've cut away the collar all the way down to the maraboo ? different action ?

Thanks guys, truly appreciate all the very kind comments. :)

fishabuoy -- Yep, it was tied for Delta LMBs this summer. No, I don't apply glue or anything else to the fly before fishing it and the collar does have some flex to it. When I fish it, I expect the water to travel up the head and hit that collar, thus forcing the fly down. They've always worked as intended, so I've never thought to do them any differently.

troutbuster -- Funny you should ask about why I trim the collar down almost to the marabou, as you're not the 1st person to ask. To be frank, I don't have a real reason other than I'm self-taught and that's the way I've always tied them. With that said, though, it has occurred to me in the past that this provides less soaked hair and related weight to carry in the air; perhaps fewer opportunities for water to "wick" into the hair, thus soaking it sooner; and I've thought it made the fly a little less wind-resistant for easier casting. Since I've never tied them any other way, these only amount to mere speculations on my part, though, sorry.

skidoosh -- The fly is tied on a size 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S hook and is precisely the same size and configuration as the size 2 Tiemco TMC8089 hook that I also use interchangeably for these types of flies. I like how the stinger-style of these hook models force the hook point further back and the hook bend lines up really well with a mono weed guard when you tie it in on the upper portion of the hook bend. In this case, I consciously chose the Gamakatsu hook over the Tiemco version for this particular fly because I wanted its black nickel finish for looks.

-- Mike

fishabuoy -- Yep, it was tied for Delta LMBs this summer. No, I don't apply glue or anything else to the fly before fishing it and the collar does have some flex to it. When I fish it, I expect the water to travel up the head and hit that collar, thus forcing the fly down. They've always worked as intended, so I've never thought to do them any differently.

troutbuster -- Funny you should ask about why I trim the collar down almost to the marabou, as you're not the 1st person to ask. To be frank, I don't have a real reason other than I'm self-taught and that's the way I've always tied them. With that said, though, it has occurred to me in the past that this provides less soaked hair and related weight to carry in the air; perhaps fewer opportunities for water to "wick" into the hair, thus soaking it sooner; and I've thought it made the fly a little less wind-resistant for easier casting. Since I've never tied them any other way, these only amount to mere speculations on my part, though, sorry.

skidoosh -- The fly is tied on a size 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S hook and is precisely the same size and configuration as the size 2 Tiemco TMC8089 hook that I also use interchangeably for these types of flies. I like how the stinger-style of these hook models force the hook point further back and the hook bend lines up really well with a mono weed guard when you tie it in on the upper portion of the hook bend. In this case, I consciously chose the Gamakatsu hook over the Tiemco version for this particular fly because I wanted its black nickel finish for looks.

-- Mike

Its funny because I was looking at your hooks in comparison to my Gamakatsu B10S size 6 and thinking how much heavier it looked!

Hi skeedoosh,

we use the smaller sizes B10 (sold in europe as the gamakatsu F314) say #10, 6 and 4 alot for seatrout flies, mainly because those Danish coastal seatrout are accrobates and really know how to get off the hook, the gamakatsu has a very good hooking and keeping rate.

The hook has from size #1 and up a nice heavy wire, a good hook for spinning

~ floris

-- Mike

Its funny because I was looking at your hooks in comparison to my Gamakatsu B10S size 6 and thinking how much heavier it looked!

Good work, needs eyes though!

Thanks, appreciate the suggestion. I considered it but thought it would interrupt the color pattern. Also, I've never fished a diver with eyes and I questioned whether it would make the fly any more effective. That said, I recently bought a bunch of eyes for divers and plan to give 'em a go this summer. They certainly do make these types of flies look more "complete" from what I've seen of divers tied by others. As an aside, I've also mulled over whether to add some rubber legs to make them appear fuller and livelier and hopefully more attractive to bass.

I have experienced first hand the success of Mike's deer hair flies. His Red & White Taps' Bug is legendary for catching LMB on the Delta (California)...if this fly doesn't bring the big ones out of the depths, I'd be shocked.

Thanks for sharing Mike.