Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Rotary Vise poll

Rotary or not?  

773 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What, no totally rad and awesome 720 fans?

Not anymore.

Mike

Did he drop off the face of the earth or get banned?

After several warnings he was shown the door.

I've been using a DanVise for over a year now, and, while I've heard of people having problems (breaking jaws and such), I've not had a single problem with mine. I recently added the jaw extension to mine; makes streamers and such easier, but it's harder for me to line up the shank to get "true" rotation.

dyna king baracudda junior trekker (rotary)

one thing i would say is, i never use the rotary action for wrapping materials, too liitle control over what's happenng

martyn

About 30 years ago I bought a new Thompson 360 pedestal vice and still use it. I would like to get a renzetti traveler but I can still use the vice I have so I probably won't get one. Still I think it is a vice I would like to have but the price tag just ain't going to happen. Anyone use the Zephr EZ Rotary vice? Now that is a price tag I would go for if it is any good.

one thing i would say is, i never use the rotary action for wrapping materials, too liitle control over what's happenng

martyn

Really? I find much more control with a rotary over a static fly vice. maybe the rotary vice you used didn't have the correct tension to keep the fly steady and it rotated due to thread pressure. How do you see what is going on the back side? When i am being extra precise I use the half wrap, rotate and wrap technique to make sure that my wraps are exact and evenly spaced. Otherwise it really is a crap shoot. The only way to be absolutley sure your wraps on the right side of the fly are the same is to stand up and peak over the fly or tilt the pedestal toward you to look at the right side of the fly. Heck I tye a lot of my streamer and nymph flies upside down, I mean the trout look at that profile as much as if not more so than the top of the fly.

I'm still tying on the same Thompson Model A vise I got 35 years ago. I have been looking at possibly getting a new vise. At this point I am considering the HMH and the Peak. The HMH appeals to me because it is more like the Thompson I am used to and I am not sure how much I would use the rotary function. I realize the HMH can rotate, but that does not seem to be its primary function. But, any move is several months down the road, so I have plenty of time to evaluate.

martyn

Really? I find much more control with a rotary over a static fly vice. maybe the rotary vice you used didn't have the correct tension to keep the fly steady and it rotated due to thread pressure. How do you see what is going on the back side? When i am being extra precise I use the half wrap, rotate and wrap technique to make sure that my wraps are exact and evenly spaced. Otherwise it really is a crap shoot. The only way to be absolutley sure your wraps on the right side of the fly are the same is to stand up and peak over the fly or tilt the pedestal toward you to look at the right side of the fly. Heck I tye a lot of my streamer and nymph flies upside down, I mean the trout look at that profile as much as if not more so than the top of the fly.

i think you have misunderstood me, I use the rotary function for turning and tying in etc, although not as much as some people (thinking mostly cheeks and jc eyes here) but beards legs and veilings then yeah i turn the vise. What i never doe is rotate the hook to craeta a wrap. i.e holding chenille for example and turning the hook so that the chenile winds up the body, i much prefer to lay each wrap and be able to manipulate it with my materials hand.

marty

I have used a rotary vise for 45 years. I used Renzetti but I have a Dyana-King barracuda indexer on order. There is nothing better then a rotary vise.. :hyst:

I use true rotary most of the time... Dyna-King Barracuda Ultimate Indexer. It was an Indian cheapo rotary that put me on the track and I said to myself: 'Never a conventional vise again.' Then I went from that Indian to a Danvise, from that to a Mongoose, from that to a DK Barracuda Junior (not Trekker) and from that to the DK Barracuda Ultimate Indexer. Early last year I got a got myself a Dyna-King Supreme (conventional), despite the earlier "never again". Today I tie on that one almost as often as the Barracuda. With the body positioned horizontally, I could see it as an "almost true rotary"... with the jaws in the same angle as the hook shank's center line (a little like the Norvise). A little more rotary drag than on a true rotary vise, not a perfect center line match (height) and not so good for high speed rotary tying. But works just as good for even ribbing, palmering hackle... and, of course, comfortable "always right side of the fly" tying.

For the poll, 'true rotary', but I think they both have their advantages. A conventional vise offers more space behind the fly and more space on the tying bench... and its size is more suited for livingroom sessions, tying nights etc (thinking Barracuda Mastodont point of view here. :rolleyes:

The true rotary, however, is better suited for weaving flies since the extension/spindle offers more space for the hands under the fly... and is of course unbeatable when it comes to the really "nasty" wrapping jobs, like wire bodies and floss bodies etc.

I wrote a little article about true rotary vises for my homepage not too long ago, including some illustrations. Pretty basic stuff that I'm sure most of you already know (judging by poll result and comments), but might be interesting for the fly-tying newbies:

http://www.swedneckflyfishing.com/rotaryvise.htm

/Nick

still tying on a cheapy kit vise.

i will eventually get a renzetti traveler 2000.

problem is with most gadgets (true with most hobbies).............it wont make me a better tyer.............just provide some more options while tying.

camoham

I have used a rotary vise for 45 years. I used Renzetti but I have a Dyana-King barracuda indexer on order. There is nothing better then a rotary vise.. :hyst:

You're going to love it. I've been tying on an Indexer for the past year and a half, and I don't think there's a finer vise out there for Bass and Saltwater tying.

I'm still tying on the same Thompson Model A vise I got 35 years ago. I have been looking at possibly getting a new vise. At this point I am considering the HMH and the Peak. The HMH appeals to me because it is more like the Thompson I am used to and I am not sure how much I would use the rotary function. I realize the HMH can rotate, but that does not seem to be its primary function. But, any move is several months down the road, so I have plenty of time to evaluate.

I recently bought an HMH Spartan and love it to death. The only time I ever use rotary functions is for tying streamers, and setting the Spartan's head angle level gives you the rotary option. It's also incredibly handy for streamers because of the room you have to tie. With my old DanVise rotary, when I rotated the vise head, there was virtually no room to tie because of the cam lever and everything being in the way. Not an issue with the Spartan. Renzetti even sells a vise model with the "Clouser Cam." Guess what the head angle is on that vise: horizontal, just like how I set the Spartan head angle for streamers. But then I can pop in the midge jaws, take the head angle steep, and tie #28's if I want. :headbang: