Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BeginnerFlyTyer

Favorite Pike or Bass Fly

I love being new at fly fishing and also fly fishing B) just kiddin' but you are entering the world of addiction i tell you!

I usually target smallmouth bass, but aside from my minnows here are a couple of 'go to' flies. A favourite fly to fish for this species has to be topwater, such as a spun deerhair bug, or foam/ balsa type popper (some guys on here tie some awesome looking surface flies, just take a look! And also at the sticky at the top of this forum). The strikes you get from using surface baits will make your heart skip a beat. I haven't mastered that yet so can't put up any pics, but here are a couple of my favourite subsurface flies for bass.

post-29540-1289797196_thumb.jpg

A black/ blue black fuzzle bugger - size 6 mustad streamer hook, marabou tail, 1 strand of crystal flash, 0.30 lead wire, blue/ black diamond dub. (its just a modified wooley bugger)

post-29540-1289797203_thumb.jpg

And a chartreuse clouser minnow - size 6 Gamakatsu SS hook, tungsten hourglass eye, Chartreuse EP fibre (or anything really), Pink EP (same, u can use all sorts of materials here), and a little flash. Works a treat!

I think both of these are such simple ties, and are my subsurface go to flies for smallies. One day i will tie poppers like these guys on here :baby:

Here is one of my favorite large mouth bass patterns. It is a basic frog popper pattern shaped and painted out of closed cell foam. The legs hang below the surface while the head stays on top giving this fly a very similar position and profile to the real thing. I usually tie a dropper, often a damsel fly, off the bend of the hook as it makes a great strike indicator for sub surface flies. You can also turn the head around and have a great diver pattern.

post-29446-1289837071_thumb.jpg post-29446-1289837084_thumb.jpg

and my all time fav

Ahh yeah i'll take a couple of them thanks! Most excellent tie.

If I had to pick just one, it would probably be this foam disc popper I like to tie:

greenpopper.th.jpg

That is generally my best color in that pattern. It's easy and durable, but can be a little time-consuming. The popper body is made of several discs of craft foam that I punch out, glue together into a cylinder, notch it and glue that to the hook shank, wrap it with prism lure tape, add any eyes/paint/marker, then epoxy coat it. Floats like a cork, is still pretty light, and very durable. The rest of the fly is just some marabou and flash for the tail, rubber legs, and ice chenille wrapped behind the popper body.

And for a subsurface fly, here's an ugly pic of one of the rabbit streamers I like to use in a lot of colors and sizes:

dsc0370dm.th.jpg

This one is filthy-easy to do. Slide on the cone head, tie in a rabbit strip tail, and either wrap rabbit strip forward to the cone or put it in a dubbing loop, spin it, and wrap it. This is an earlier version when I used to wrap the strip, now I prefer the dubbing loop method because I can clamp different colors of rabbit strip and/or flash material together, spin it, and wrap it for a better look with less "hide bulk" on the fly. In a #6 in the above color, this one is lethal on stream smallies!

That deer hair frog is awesome. I have a lot of deer hair and I am going to dye some up and try my hand at stacking some on a hook. Wish me luck I hope I can eventually make something like that. :eek:

Really like that deer hair froggy pattern. Very nicely tied.

Bryan - make sure the wife's not home and you have the vacuum cleaner tuned up.

Good point I have done a couple of deer hair poppers (very plain) but they did make a huge mess. I wonder if you could use like a shop vac the way you do on a wood working set up to so every thing that you trim off goes right in to the vacumn? That would be awesome :yahoo:

Really like that deer hair froggy pattern. Very nicely tied.

Bryan - make sure the wife's not home and you have the vacuum cleaner tuned up.

Good point I have done a couple of deer hair poppers (very plain) but they did make a huge mess. I wonder if you could use like a shop vac the way you do on a wood working set up to so every thing that you trim off goes right in to the vacumn? That would be awesome :yahoo:

Or if you have a pedestal base vise, take it out on the porch and let Mother Nature dispose of it! ;)

can i speak for myself when i say to riffleriverstealheadslayer "show off"jk no thats completely out of my skill range and ive been doing this for 3 years now lol.This guy is the one to watch out for in ftoty.Hes amazingly good and a great mentor for anybody looking for help. end of story