Fly Tying
TotallyFlyTying

Alternative Ways to Blend Dubbing...?

Hello,

I've been wanting to blend my own dubbings for some time now but i dont have a coffee grinder and havn't heard of any other ways to do this,

Does any of you more experienced tyers than me know another way? ^_^

Many Thanks in Advance,

Best Regards,

~David

2 tools you already have... Your hands.

Get two clumps of dubbing and keep tearing, put them back together and tear them again, keep repeating this process.

Get two clumps of dubbing and keep tearing, put them back together and tear them again, keep repeating this process.

Thanks for that,

I'll be giving it a shot!

~David

For larger quantities you can put the dubbing in a container, add water and stir. Mix thoroughly then pour it through a wire strainer. Then spread it out on paper towels to dry.

You can also use a blender to mix dubbing in larger batches. Its a good idea to get your own blender, don't use the one in the kitchen.

HI Guys,

Again Many thanks for the suggestions!

I have tried the one NJ All Day suggested and it works great, Thanks!

I will try the one with water, Jaydub and will also be picking up a cheap coffee blender at the first available oppertunity!

Many Thanks once again!

Best Regards,

~David

I've tried Craven's method, only I'm CHEAP, so instead of a can of compressed air, I used a straw and good old lung power. It worked fine. Just have to be careful not to get dizzy. Kinda like blowing up the kid's air mattress.

Think I saw the straw method from A.K. Best.

This is AWESOME! CC is one of the most innovative tyers - both for technique and patters....good stuff!!! Thanks for sharing that :punk:

basically what i do to I've made some cool blends pulse it's a cool way to do t so you don't wast a bunch of dubbing making a crappy mix

Charlie Craven uses canned compressed air. It works. It's fast. Juan Ramirez has tutorial here:

http://vimeo.com/10793808

man awesome video what a killer idea i'm going home and going to shave both my cats and dogs

Thanks for sharing

always wanted to see if you could put a buch of it in a cloth bag, tie it shut, and run it through with the laundry. it should work, I would think. But recently have mixed a bunch of homeade stuff using the old coffee grinder trick cause it's too hard to wait.

I use a coffee grinder myself.

Can also use the blender with water added. It mixes the dubbing better than dry.

Last way is a bit of warm water in a pan add a bit of detergent and the dubbing and mix. Rinse well and dry. Benefit of this is if you use a base or added dubbing that you are not sure where it came from (roadkill) you can blend it, clean it, and get rid of bugs at the same time.

I hear people say to add water when using a blender, should you not add water when using a coffee grinder?